Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

launch auto 4wd/4hi any difference

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default launch auto 4wd/4hi any difference

I am waiting for shipment on the radix so i can get all these parts on. I can
hardly stand it. I was wondering if anyone has messed w/ lanching in auto 4wd to limit tire spin or if you just use 4wd. i have stock tires and i would think 2wd would just smoke. my buddy has a blown ss silverado and he hooks pretty good w/ the awd.

thanks.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Been launching and autocrossing in Auto-4WD for a while now. Even with a well tuned Radix combo and 4.10 gears it just sticks and goes. 0-60 times have been averaging about 4.5 seconds according to the Autometer D-PIC
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

hey john, hows te GMHTP Truck coming along anyways? Ive really been waiting to hear more on it, I am thinking about heading the same direction as you have been going with it.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:09 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by white lightning SS
I am waiting for shipment on the radix so i can get all these parts on. I can
hardly stand it. I was wondering if anyone has messed w/ lanching in auto 4wd to limit tire spin or if you just use 4wd. i have stock tires and i would think 2wd would just smoke. my buddy has a blown ss silverado and he hooks pretty good w/ the awd.

thanks.
I would say launch in 4hi instead of auto. You know you're going to be engaging 4wd anyway, so why let the computer decide to do it a split second slower than having it already engaged? Plus...when you get up to speed you can shift back into 2hi so you're not running the 4wd up so high in speed. I usually hit 2wd right after I leave the line and by the time it shifts out I'm up to a speed where I don't need it anymore anyway.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think it would be easier on the t-case in 4hi. I know the computer sences the slippage very soon, but it has to be more stressful to engage 4wd when it senses a tire spinning, than to not spin cause you were already in 4wd.
I would still use it for everything else (it saved a few lives in a friends truck), but I dont mind using 4hi in mine even in the rain, so thats just my .02
Old 08-04-2005, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white1
I would think it would be easier on the t-case in 4hi. I know the computer sences the slippage very soon, but it has to be more stressful to engage 4wd when it senses a tire spinning, than to not spin cause you were already in 4wd.
I would still use it for everything else (it saved a few lives in a friends truck), but I dont mind using 4hi in mine even in the rain, so thats just my .02
don't launch in auto
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys. I cant wait to bolt this stuff on still waiting on the blower.
superchargersonline has great pricing but shipping is slooooooow.
I'm tired of the drive by revving's by these weak *** hemi dodges w/ just
loud *** exhaust. i guess i should have waited to put the ss badges on untill i was blown!

thanks again.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

The computer disengages the auto-4wd as soon as it senses the rear tires are getting sufficient traction.
During the launch there may be be some fraction of a second of delay from the time tire slip is noticed, until torque starts to bias to the front axle, this should be offset by the computer knowing exactly when traction is available as opposed to taking your hand off the wheel and pressing the 2wd at some point down the track.

The Auto-4wd can bias the torque to the axle with the most traction, this may provide better traction than running in 4wd as the wet clutch can bias up to 80% of the torque to the front axle.

I spoke with three different GM engineers on the truck platform and none of them said a word about Auto-4wd being more "stressful" on the t-case than 4-hi up to the point where you are making so much power that you overwhelm the transfer case regardless of mode, i.e Parish.

Having said this, If you guys have good additional information that contradicts my research, I would love to hear it and would give credit in the magazine.

Last edited by JohnUlaszek; 08-04-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had bad luck running auto 4wd with the nitrous when the front wheels kick in it makes the front chatter a little bit and I just don think that could be good for the drivetrain. Something could be messed up with my t-case too though I dont know but Im going to run it till it blows.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:00 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnUlaszek
The computer disengages the auto-4wd as soon as it senses the rear tires are getting sufficient traction.
During the launch there may be be some fraction of a second of delay from the time tire slip is noticed, until torque starts to bias to the front axle, this should be offset by the computer knowing exactly when traction is available as opposed to taking your hand off the wheel and pressing the 2wd at some point down the track.

The Auto-4wd can bias the torque to the axle with the most traction, this may provide better traction than running in 4wd as the wet clutch can bias up to 80% of the torque to the front axle.

I spoke with three different GM engineers on the truck platform and none of them said a word about Auto-4wd being more "stressful" on the t-case than 4-hi up to the point where you are making so much power that you overwhelm the transfer case regardless of mode, i.e Parish.

Having said this, If you guys have good additional information that contradicts my research, I would love to hear it and would give credit in the magazine.

I don't have any contradictory info....just what makes sense to me, but that's been wrong before. And I do remember getting some torque steer in auto-4 that I don't remember being there in 4hi, but maybe I was just imagining it, or maybe it was something else about the run that was different, I dunno.

Quick Reply: launch auto 4wd/4hi any difference