Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ld2500 or hd1500 front end questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:45 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ld2500 or hd1500 front end questions?

anyone have any pic's?

i am ready to buy some rims and tires and see what kind of 60' times this thing can do but i am afraid i might end up with an 8 lug set up when i go to beef up the front end. decided i should wait on the rims and tires till i get that figured out.

my first hope is that all the parts from a ld2500/hd1500 would just bolt right on to my frame. can anyone take some pics of their front ends? spacificaly where the control arms mount. i looked at a 2500hd once and it was instantly clear that there are significant diferences with one of those but maybe the LD stuff will just bolt over.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:04 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
anyone have any pic's?

i am ready to buy some rims and tires and see what kind of 60' times this thing can do but i am afraid i might end up with an 8 lug set up when i go to beef up the front end. decided i should wait on the rims and tires till i get that figured out.

my first hope is that all the parts from a ld2500/hd1500 would just bolt right on to my frame. can anyone take some pics of their front ends? spacificaly where the control arms mount. i looked at a 2500hd once and it was instantly clear that there are significant diferences with one of those but maybe the LD stuff will just bolt over.
I'm pretty sure you know the front diffs on the 1500HD, 2500LD, and 2500HD are the same AAM 925. Not sure about the actual bolt up locations though, course I don't own a 1500HD anymore.....
Old 03-03-2005, 05:25 AM
single digit dreamer

yes, i know the front diffs are the same but the frames are diferent than the 2500hd. i have a 2500hd front and i think it would bolt in there but the flanges are larger AND the unit is 2" wider over all. the 2" wider makes it dificuilt for me to figure out how to bolt it in there.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2" wider flange to flange? Could you have the CV halfshafts shortened? There's a place in Louisiana that will rebuild your front CVs to be quite a bit stronger . . . maybe they'd be willing to shorten them an inch each when they do it? The company is Gorilla CV. When you find their website . . . they do ATV joints, but they'll also do GM CVs.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:00 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by ecthelion
2" wider flange to flange? Could you have the CV halfshafts shortened? There's a place in Louisiana that will rebuild your front CVs to be quite a bit stronger . . . maybe they'd be willing to shorten them an inch each when they do it? The company is Gorilla CV. When you find their website . . . they do ATV joints, but they'll also do GM CVs.
yes, 2" wider flange to flange. if the cv's could be made shorter than i would be in business, i am sure i could mate the 2 flanges together but that extra 1" on each side is a problem.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not positive that Gorilla CV will shorten the axle shafts for you--you'd have to call and ask. I know they'll rebuild your CVs to be something like 40 % stronger, and to take higher angles of operation. I haven't talked to them about this stuff--I found this info from a search for "stronger CVs" on FSC's forum. The company's official name is Gorilla Axle, and their website is just their name with a dash in the middle.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Most axle shops can custom make or shorten a cv to what ever you want.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:25 PM
single digit dreamer

woohoo, gorila is the place!!!! i just called there and talked to jason, he told me they can build me anything i want. all chrome molly, super strong, 3/4 ton flange on the inside and 1500 fiting parts on the outside. he says there are no other parts out there to be weak. he can also shorten them and make any length i want.

NOT CHEAP!!! but they can do it. he estimated about $600per side.

now.........

since i know i can keep the 6lugs i think i will get some rims and tires. i have a core front diff that i can attempt to fit in the truck too. it is a monster so who knows, it might not fit in there but i wont know till i try.

thanks for the hook up ecthelion
Old 03-04-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry no pics but I am sure the frame on the 1500HD 2500LD are 2" taller than a 1500 frame and probably heavier all the way around but I have never actually compared them directly. Need any futher measurements let me know and I will see what I can do. Sorry no digital so pics would be a pain.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:10 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Mort
Sorry no pics but I am sure the frame on the 1500HD 2500LD are 2" taller than a 1500 frame and probably heavier all the way around but I have never actually compared them directly. Need any futher measurements let me know and I will see what I can do. Sorry no digital so pics would be a pain.
sounds like i dont need them anymore, going to go with the custom cv's, now i just need to see if a 2500front diff will fit up front. i will probably be stupid and get the rims and tires first.

Quick Reply: ld2500 or hd1500 front end questions?