Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Leaf spring angle question (Belltech hangers vs stock hangers vs shackles) etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Leaf spring angle question (Belltech hangers vs stock hangers vs shackles) etc

Long story short I put Belltech hangers on my 2005 RCSB. In conjunction with the Belltech shackles installed on the lower hole, the axle would bottom on just about every dip. So I reinstall the stock shackles and that raises the truck up a bit. BUT, I've changed directions and want to get my CV axles flatter, and therefore raise the back up again a tad. Stock hangers and some Belltech shackles would get me there, but I tossed my stock hangers and I'd like to do things the easy way, if it's acceptably correct.

Normally when you install *just* shackles, the leaf spring is pointed downards, but currently my leaf is pointed slightly upwards, due to the Belltech hangers and the fact that I have the stock shackles installed.

Can I install a 1" lift block and *reverse* the Belltech shim to get the pinion angle correct again and lift the truck up a tad? Right now my pinion is angled severely upwards, as I don't think the Belltech hangers were ever meant to be used with stock hangers (although I might be wrong). I'm mainly wondering how the leaf spring pointed upwards will affect squat/ rear suspenion geommetry under launch. I do have Cal-Tracs installed...
Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Leaf spring eye that points up and higher in body is better for drag racing

Nice thread about this on yellow bullet
Old 12-04-2015, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by George C....
Leaf spring eye that points up and higher in body is better for drag racing

Nice thread about this on yellow bullet
Ok I see. Given that the fundamentals of squat/ anti-squat also apply to 4wd launches, it sounds like my setup will work well indeed, and might even be optimal? This is fantastic, as swapping spring hangers ain't the most fun, even if they're only bolted on.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Leaf spring eye dictates instant center

Many leaf spring cars notch their floors to raise the eye high up in chassis..we as trucks are lucky we can raise eye without notching body
Old 12-05-2015, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not that I know the numbers, but pinion angle plays a big part in planting the rear with leaf springs.

The 14 bolt in the tahoe came out of a 454ss, so a shortcab long bed. When my rear end guy replaced the posi after I put it in he played around with the perches, cut reweld etc. and got the pinion angle where ever he wanted.

Long story short, everyone else with similar trucks needed caltracs to get traction. I would dead hook on 255 wide a/t's on the factory 16's just as well as the 28x12.5 ET streets even spraying a 200 shot out of the hole.

Throw that pig on a dyno and it would lift the *** up 2-3 inches....