Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

lets talk a lil bout air bag suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lets talk a lil bout air bag suspension

I want to get air bags on my truck, it sound stupid but its what i want 00 silverado Z71 yes its 4x4. I know they make air bag front kits for 4x4 but there are so many for the back. i think i want a bolt on system just b/c of the simplicity. but should i get cantilever or not. i have a body kit im putting on so i dont need it to lay frame, but i want it to look like i am, body kit is like 6 inches so if i can slam it down to the body kit ill be happy.

and talk about air suspension good,bad,ugly dont matter im new to it and trying to learn something. like how the whole thing works and what you need, is a kit better than buying each piece separate, exc.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a parts list for you... the tortion bar fromt suspension and CV angles will be your biggest challenge.. I researched this thoroughly when I was planning on bagging mine... since then I have changed direction on i and I want it faster..

Here is what I came up with for your trucks air ride system.
Front Bags
Front Bag Cups
Rear Bags
6 Gallon Tank
Viair Compressor
2 Dual Needle Guages
Pressure Switch
8 3/8” Valves
9 Switch Polished Controller
4 Link With Canteliever
Frame Notch
Front Shock Relocaters
75’ 3/8” Line
40’ 1/8” Line
Front Shocks
Fittings

-keep in mind that this was my parts list for a 2WD.... it will be different up front for you but the back will be the exact same. You can figure on spending $3000+ on it though... and thats going to be the absolute minimum. most people I have seen lose their front wheel drive completely and take out the diff and put 2wd control arms on it... let me know if you have any more Q's...
Old 02-23-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, this is good info. oh and is it better to have a bigger tank or 2 tanks or can you even do 2 tanks on the same system.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

you can put as many tanks as you want but the total capacity will be the same if you put two 4 gal tanks or if you do one 8 gal... I know sevral people who have theirs set up to run the front on one tank and the rear on another with 2 compressors. Depending on wether you want to do just front to back, or front back and sides... you can do 4 valves but I highly recommend you do 8 so you wont have air transferring fromside to side while driving giving you insane body roll...
Old 02-24-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

Default bagd

My 03 2wd RCSB is bagged it features 1/2 inch valves and line (real fast operation) two quite pricey viair compressors an 8 gallon storage tank 10 switch box and dakota digital lcd display guage and the other givens bags fittings cups ect. I run a parallel 4 link w panhard bar setup all 2 inch bars. these parts will set you back alot around 3000+ With air you get what you pay for, It gives you a very altered ride i would recomend you get a ride in something bagged before makeing your desicion. the four wheel drive setup proves to make for a horrible setup for bags. a 2wd conversion is also not a cake walk for the novice. ask again if i was unclear at any questions you have
Old 02-24-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

so your telling me that an air ride is a worse ride than what i have now.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

not it its setup correctly... I have ridden and driven more than one bagged vehicle and it is capable of driving and riding like a brand new caddy... take your time and install everything correctly and you will be fine. the 4wd will be your biggest problem.. I say wait to bag it until you have a 2wd truck... it will ride a lot better with more travel in the suspension and will be easier to maintain since you wont have the front wheel drive stuff to contend with... jusy my $.02 though... I would definitely applaud someone who bags a 4wd and makes it work properly.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i appreciate the applaud, and thanks for the info i was confused w/ what that meant
i have thought about selling it or just geting a 2wd truck but i like the fact that it is 4wd, i can lock it in going over speed bumps
i think ill bag the back till i find out what im going to do for the front.

and when i was talking about the tanks i ment if i had room for a 10 gal tank or 3 5 gal tanks would it be better to do 3 5's vs 1 10
Old 02-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

It all depends on how you are going to mount them.. if you are mounting them in the bed then it just depends on how much bed space you want to lose... and the occasional ******* who likes to look at things with his hands... I have seen 2 5 gal tanks mountes under the bed quite creatively and you have plenty of room if you move some stuff around... (I would suggest putting as much of it under the bed as possible.. I have a buddy who got all his airlines cut by someone and he had his stuff kind of in plain view in the bed... )
Old 02-24-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn that sucks what do you do when that happens to you. the truck wont move so do you just drag it up on a tow truck.

and i do plan on putting as much as possible under the bed, if not all of it.

Quick Reply: lets talk a lil bout air bag suspension