Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

lets talk a lil bout air bag suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes air ride does provide a decent ride but there is alignment issues, if you say there isnt you dont know what you are talking about, bagged trucks have bump steer issues,like it or not you alignment is variable. think about it, the truck goes up and down, its is neer impossible to get it to the exact ride height that the truck was alligned for. just like everything else with the alignment slightly off you get shimmy in the steering, and premature tire wear. Cant help it, it comes with the teritory. the bump steer is also a dirrect effect that bagged truck have it is due to the constant changes in tie rod angle as the suspension moves up and down.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:57 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

it is an issue but you can control it by driving at a consistent set PSI on your bags... it will keep it very accurate. you just cant move the suspension up and down while driving because you will end up with wear just like you said.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

so i set it up at a certin psi, get it alined and i should be good to go. as long as i am at that psi, if i change the hight or psi then my tread will wear differently( in the front right) the psi has nothing to do with tread wear in the back? i think
Old 02-26-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

pressure dont matter in the back, but there is no body in the frikin world that dont like to hit switches while driving it is just too fun. ALIGNMENT yes you get it aligned to a certain psi, mine happens to be about 75, i mean ABOUT!!!! every thing is a factor, a passengers weight thows is off, cargo in the back ect.it is never the exact same. I am confident to say that every bagged truck is going to have premature tire wear.Oh and did i mention that you should look into how much your ball joints are, if you drive a bagged ride year round you will be replacing upper and lower ball joints at least twice a year and that is no joke at all!! ball joint can be a lil pricey too if you cant do em yourself.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Launching!

If your truck has torsion bars in the front. Air rid tech now has systems for that.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

could you give me a link for the torsion bar kit. and if you have a self leveling system would it help on premature tire wear.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

torsion bar setups at air ride technology, self leveling ride height controllers run about a grand for a good one.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont see what a big deal is with 4x4. dont all the hardcore air baged trucks have independent rear suspension. its like the same concept
Old 03-01-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

good question? i guess that makes sense, maybe front drive shaft issues????
Old 03-01-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

u can be 4wd....dragging ur frame ont he ground....put ti in 4wd and continue dragging w/out binding anything.

its been done on an OBS silverado...and its basically the same setup up front.

bag the front off the Upper Control arms

Quick Reply: lets talk a lil bout air bag suspension