Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

lets talk locking & limited slip rearends................G80 is toast

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:57 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks for the the added info, so far I've been looking at the Detroit and Eaton.....

I'll look at the torsen as well.

BMDMAX, you would have gone detroit had it been avaiable?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. The torsen style units (AAM TracRite or Detroit's True-Trac) are really limited slip units, not lockers.

I like the locker for max traction and strength. The TracRite was my next best choice and really the only option for now.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:14 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by BMDMAX
Yep. The torsen style units (AAM TracRite or Detroit's True-Trac) are really limited slip units, not lockers.

I like the locker for max traction and strength. The TracRite was my next best choice and really the only option for now.
thanks bro, can you tell me some of its driving characteristics?
some of your common driving characteristics?

Devin
Old 05-15-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

me and nightmarechevy have a detriot true trac locker and both of them have stood up pretty well. i have about 20 passes and some really big burnouts on mine and no problems. i am running 22"x10" on the street and on the track. sometimes i run a set of 16" wheels and tires on the track with some phat smokey burnouts. the other night i had bunch of wheel hop and not problems as of yet. so i think they it is standing up pretty well. oh i also have 3.73 and nightmarechevy 4.10 he will chime in before to long
Old 05-15-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Detroit Truetrac is not a locker. It is a helical gear torsen unit that constantly biases power in a ratio to the wheel that has the most traction. Torsen units operate just like a limited slip but are gear based, no clutch packs to wear out. They are very smooth and positive feeling. No chatter or backlash either.

I pound on mine in daily driving and 1000 foot pounds takes a toll. So far the unit is holding up well and is delivering the traction I need. You do have to remember that torsen units send power on a ratio, say it biases at a 5:1 ratio. It will send five times the power to the wheel with traction. If one wheel has zero traction because it is off the ground then that ratio is squat, 5x0 is still zero. Applying the brakes at the same time will simulate some traction and send power to the drive wheel.

Since I don't off-road this is not a big deal for me. The torsen unit hooks better in all around conditions than the G80.

The Detroit Locker is locked all the time and unlocks in turns. That is why you get the harsher characteristics with chatter and noise, especially if the unit has trouble unlocking to turn. These offer max strength and traction though.

Out in Cali I think a Torsen unit would serve you pretty well and make a nice daily driver.

Take a look at Tractech's site for some info: http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm
and then give the guys at Randy's Ring and Pinion a call. Those guys know their **** and can really help with your setup. They helped solve my 11.5 problem and were spot-on with their advice. http://www.ringpinion.com/

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 05-15-2005, 07:21 PM
what a rush!

The Detroit Truetrac is not a locker. It is a helical gear torsen unit that constantly biases power in a ratio to the wheel that has the most traction. Torsen units operate just like a limited slip but are gear based, no clutch packs to wear out. They are very smooth and positive feeling. No chatter or backlash either.

I pound on mine in daily driving and 1000 foot pounds takes a toll. So far the unit is holding up well and is delivering the traction I need. You do have to remember that torsen units send power on a ratio, say it biases at a 5:1 ratio. It will send five times the power to the wheel with traction. If one wheel has zero traction because it is off the ground then that ratio is squat, 5x0 is still zero. Applying the brakes at the same time will simulate some traction and send power to the drive wheel.

Since I don't off-road this is not a big deal for me. The torsen unit hooks better in all around conditions than the G80.

The Detroit Locker is locked all the time and unlocks in turns. That is why you get the harsher characteristics with chatter and noise, especially if the unit has trouble unlocking to turn. These offer max strength and traction though.

Out in Cali I think a Torsen unit would serve you pretty well and make a nice daily driver.

Take a look at Tractech's site for some info: http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm
and then give the guys at Randy's Ring and Pinion a call. Those guys know their **** and can really help with your setup. They helped solve my 11.5 problem and were spot-on with their advice. http://www.ringpinion.com/

Thanks,
Brandon
thanks bro, I've been on tractech's website all morning

I'll make a few phone calls tomorrow...........I need to get this wrapped up soon though..........lots to do.

how much $$ did that torsen run ya?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

For the 11.5 it was 600 bucks delivered with new bearings and races. The unit itself was 517 bucks I think.

The 10.5 should cost less...
Old 05-15-2005, 08:03 PM
what a rush!

For the 11.5 it was 600 bucks delivered with new bearings and races. The unit itself was 517 bucks I think.

The 10.5 should cost less...
sounds like, in terms of strength, the torsen, detroit, or eaton would be fine

how would you rank them in terms of long term beatings reliability?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Long term survivability IMO would be Detroit, Torsen and then Eaton.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:12 PM
what a rush!

Long term survivability IMO would be Detroit, Torsen and then Eaton.
thats how I have them ranked as well

Quick Reply: lets talk locking & limited slip rearends................G80 is toast