Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Let's talk tires - Best balancing, smoothest riding-(nitto-falken-kumho-yokohama's)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:17 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I've been to the tirerack for feedback but they don't sell falken, or nitto. I've read plenty of reviews before posting here and quite frankly it's hard to get a real answer because the scope of cars people put the tires on varies so much. We all run them on the same trucks so it's easier to gage. You're right in your assumption moregrip, I'm not after the speedrating but moreso I'm after perfect balancing. I actually dont mind a choppy, firm ride on the road. It's when I hit a smooth stretch of highway and I feel the tires constantly shaking up and down.
I'd recommend a road force balance, or is it called road matched balance from discount tires.
I watched the guy do all of mine and there is alot of info offered by that machine.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there, done that. Road forcing helps but I find eliminate about 90% of the felt shake. Maybe I'm just being too damn picky, but I'm sick of people telling me that "it's a truck, live with it". Trucks ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SHAKE. I consider that statement an excuse for a tire tech who can't eliminate the problems.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:26 PM
what a rush!

Been there, done that. Road forcing helps but I find eliminate about 90% of the felt shake. Maybe I'm just being too damn picky, but I'm sick of people telling me that "it's a truck, live with it". Trucks ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SHAKE. I consider that statement an excuse for a tire tech who can't eliminate the problems.
I agree with you.
Do you remember what the balance machine said? and what final lb. rating you balanced out at?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

My michelin LTX M/S's on my stock 16 inch rims only required 6 lbs of road force on 2 of them, the other one was 9 lbs and the last one was around 8 lbs. The guys at discount tire said that most car tires don't balance out with that little bit of road force.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

If I remember correctly, they said trucks and suv's should have 15 lbs or under to be "acceptable" and passenger car tires are 12 and under. Does that sound about right?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:38 PM
what a rush!

My michelin LTX M/S's on my stock 16 inch rims only required 6 lbs of road force on 2 of them, the other one was 9 lbs and the last one was around 8 lbs. The guys at discount tire said that most car tires don't balance out with that little bit of road force.
My best tire/wheel was 3lbs and worst 10lbs.
If I remember right, anything under 20 is considered good.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

They even went as so far as to break the tire down off the rim, and reposition it to where the machine said would be the "ideal" spot to mount the tire to the rim. They all know me there now by first name because I'm so picky. LoL. Am I right in thinking that since I upgraded to factory 20" rim, that it's easier to balance a wheel rather than a tire? What I mean by that is the more wheel you can have, and the less rubber that the easier it is to balance out the rotating assembly? Also, with a lower profile tire, is it easier to keep uniformity in the manufacturing process of the tire and keep it more round than we'll say a comparable size tire with a smaller rim?

Joe
Old 01-25-2005, 11:44 PM
what a rush!

They even went as so far as to break the tire down off the rim, and reposition it to where the machine said would be the "ideal" spot to mount the tire to the rim. They all know me there now by first name because I'm so picky. LoL. Am I right in thinking that since I upgraded to factory 20" rim, that it's easier to balance a wheel rather than a tire? What I mean by that is the more wheel you can have, and the less rubber that the easier it is to balance out the rotating assembly? Also, with a lower profile tire, is it easier to keep uniformity in the manufacturing process of the tire and keep it more round than we'll say a comparable size tire with a smaller rim?

Joe
well, wheel quality (i.e. uniformity) varies alot between companies as well.
Some are notoriosly bad, while others have a good rep.
So far, both my Boyd Coddingtons and Intros have balanced out quite well.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moregrip
My best tire/wheel was 3lbs and worst 10lbs.
If I remember right, anything under 20 is considered good.

Are you referring to your new BF Goodriches? I just looked them up on the tirerack and they're damn expensive. About $219 a piece to be exact
Old 01-25-2005, 11:47 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting the Nitto NT-404's so I will let you know my thoughts about them when I get them on

Quick Reply: Let's talk tires - Best balancing, smoothest riding-(nitto-falken-kumho-yokohama's)