Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Looky what i got today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looky what i got today!

Im going to wait to install this until i order the transgo hd-2 shift kit and 4th gear servo since i already have the vette servo. Im also debating since the trans will be pulled to install the stall, i might go with the red alto 2-4 wider band, and the red alto HP 3-4 clutch pack with kolene steel plates and the sun beast sunshell. That should beef up the trans a good bit for my use as the truck is a DD and i just play with it every now and then. Anyone else recommend a few other stronger parts to throw in while its out? I was also looking into this to add to the list http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-035764cdk.htm
Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Launching!

might wanna look in to a billet output shaft. common problem with 4l60e in trucks. do a search on broken output shaft and check out what you find. good luck
Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Sounds like a nice plan of attack. You covered most of it. That Beast is a great start. I've had both a sun shell, an output shaft, & a 4 pinion planet in various 60E's break in my older truck. A 5 pin planet maybe, but it won't be cheap.

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-19-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Oops! Left out a few words, mo better now
Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't think i will need an output shaft will i? I always thought guys running boost/FI were the ones who would need that upgrade?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Launching!

i busted my output shaft behind a mild 4.8.. all motor, no boost, no juice. stock output shaft is cast steel with an oil hole drilled thru the center. thats where it breaks. build your tranny to hold more pressure and shift firmer and the output becomes the weak link. mine lasted bout 6000 miles behind a level 2 built tranny. took out the expensive 5 pinion planetaries i had put in.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeteys5.3
i don't think i will need an output shaft will i? I always thought guys running boost/FI were the ones who would need that upgrade?
On my 89 c1500 w/. LT1, it wasn't F/I & was actually a pretty mild build. No more than I guess 325HP. If ya dig thru my posts on drivetrain u can find it. But I may've had other issues goin on as well. Or send a PM to me if ya wanna talk bout it. A phone # would help if ya want to B.S. for a few.

The 04 will be F/I tho.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by acethedragon
i busted my output shaft behind a mild 4.8.. all motor, no boost, no juice. stock output shaft is cast steel with an oil hole drilled thru the center. thats where it breaks. build your tranny to hold more pressure and shift firmer and the output becomes the weak link. mine lasted bout 6000 miles behind a level 2 built tranny. took out the expensive 5 pinion planetaries i had put in.
I've always read on here increased line pressure can take em out.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much they run? can't find one on the site ive been looking parts up. And im not sure how i know its a stronger one as i did find one but i just think its a stocker
Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't wait to buy one like I did. You won't save any money, it will just cost you alot more in the long run.

Proof:
Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeteys5.3
how much they run? can't find one on the site ive been looking parts up. And im not sure how i know its a stronger one as i did find one but i just think its a stocker
I forgot the site I used to go to, but I'd say $3-600 range. If I come across it, I'll PM you.

The stock GM 5 pin is the one. I was told most aftermkt. are imported & not as reliable (just goin by what I was told).

It's strenth is by goin from 4 - 5 planets, it displaces or spreads out the torque. I think I said that right.

I figure if ya can afford to do a shaft or both upgrades, & you'll be in there anyway, do it.

Roger, what truck did that? You mean it had enuff power? Someone else's?
Nice carnage.

Quick Reply: Looky what i got today!