Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Looky what i got today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you ask, that was 1/2 throttle on a 1-2 shift, in 2 wheel drive.

BTW, congrats on the converter!! Definately adds to the fun-factor.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Before you ask, that was 1/2 throttle on a 1-2 shift, in 2 wheel drive.

BTW, congrats on the converter!! Definately adds to the fun-factor.
yeah im going to go ahead and add that to the list then!

found a hardened output shaft from transmissioncenter dot com for 221 bucks! not too bad i was thinking way more
Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

While the output shaft can break in any of them, especially higher horsepower vehicles, it appears that it is more common in 4WD applications. The reason for this being the 2WD shaft is longer and can absorb more twist before breaking, while the 4WD shaft is just too short to be able to handle much twisting before it snaps (shatters).

Also, congratulations on the converter, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might not be the right "engineering" term since I'm not 1 of those, but ductility of the 2WD is better; that what you're sayin 1Bear?
Or what term for twist absorbing shock of load.

Cause, in a way, I'd think a longer lever is weakest unless strengthened than a stocky, short 1? Or like a short running back. Low to ground is harder to tackle.

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-19-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
something else

Pull your skirt off and install that damn thing next weekend!

Congrats on the new buy man!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Launching!

that pic is exactly what all my expensive planetaries looked like after my weak stock output went boom. i was just getting into it, bout 1/2 throttle too. shifted down to 1st and i hit a bump at the same time. and for the record, i had increased pressure in the tune and a level 2 transgo reprogrammer kit with billet servos so definately overkill, but was ear to ear grins on the shifts. lol. and thats not a bad price for a hardened shaft. was looking at billet shaft for about $450
Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't believe that output shaft is a 300mm which i believe most of the builders on here use.......should i not bother as it may be junk? They have a 300mm also but they also have one that is 200 bucks cheaper that says "hardened output shaft" and its 56% stronger than the stocker...it is trustworthy?

its on transmissioncenter dot com if you wanna look at what im talking about
Old 03-19-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevytruck
Pull your skirt off and install that damn thing next weekend!

Congrats on the new buy man!
haha i know. Im also thinking just put the servo's in and transgo and just not worry about it until i get money for a performabuilt one but being its out i would like to "beef" it up some to hold instead of having to buy a built one
Old 03-19-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

300M shafts are a worthwhile upgrade IMO, input & output. See what others are doin as a guide.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastnblu
This might not be the right "engineering" term since I'm not 1 of those, but ductility of the 2WD is better; that what you're sayin 1Bear?
Or what term for twist absorbing shock of load.

Cause, in a way, I'd think a longer lever is weakest unless strengthened than a stocky, short 1? Or like a short running back. Low to ground is harder to tackle.
I'm not an engineer by any means, but I believe the correct term is torsional strength and by using the below formula it shows how a longer shaft is potentially stronger.

We would not use the terms below:
Tensile Strength - Measures the engineering stress applied at the point when it fails.

Yield strength - The stress at which material strain changes from elastic deformation to plastic deformation, causing it to deform permanently.

Ultimate Strength - The maximum stress a material can withstand.

Breaking Strength - The stress coordinate on the stress-strain curve at the point of rupture.

For those mathematically inclined, the equation for how much a solid steel shaft will twist under load is:
alpha=[584(T)(l) ] / D^4 * G

Where:
alpha = the torsional deflection in degrees (how much it twists)
T = Torsional or twisting moment in inch pounds (torque or load placed on the shaft)
l = length of the shaft in inches
D = diameter of shaft in inches
G= torsional modulus of elasticity (a constant for all steel shafts at 11,500,000 psi)

Note that in the equation, the diameter of the shaft (D) is raised to the power of 4. This also shows mathematically why a larger shaft is "stronger" than a smaller one, because it twists less (resists the load better or has a steeper stress/strain curve).

Note that this "stronger" - strength of size - is quite different from the "stronger" attributable to material and treatment.

Bottom line is the longer shaft will twist more than the short. This will normally allow the energy to be dissipated better in the longer, greater twisting shaft than in the short shaft - this explains why quite often we see more broken short output shafts than long.

Quick Reply: Looky what i got today!