Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lost 1-2 Pressure on 4L65e

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost 1-2 Pressure on 4L65e

Last year I put in the Transgo 4L60E-HD2 shift kit and both Sonnax Servos, went with the smaller holes on sep. plate, and put one washer. The rest of truck is stock save bolt-ons and hpt tune. The 1-2 shift was brutal so dropped pressure down tremendously. Has ran great for a year. However in the last two weeks I had just added some more gas in some lean spots...power came on better after settling in....but during a test run last week at WOT I went to the limiter no shift to second....I backed off and got the shift. Wasn't just a fluke...everytime at WOT I was getting no shift from 1st to 2nd. All other shifts are still great and firm on stock settings at WOT. Part-throttle shifts on all shifts are okay including 1-2 though noticeably softer than before. I raised the shift pressure on 1-2 back up to stock....it's firm....but slightly laggy....best way to describe is like Tow Mode in a stock tranny. I dropped my shift points from stock (39 mph and 5600 rpm) to 35 mph and 5100 rpm. I am now getting a 1-2 shift at 6000 rpm. I would say okay and forget about it but this is NA stock motor and no stall. The only thing I added last year was a 28k tranny cooler besides the forementioned. The fluid is fine...right level....nice light red color...no debris. I understand the sensors and solenoid can cause some funny problems but I feel like my problem is back inside the pan (stuck 1-2 or I dunno). I would appreciate any insight esp. from anyone who had the same exact problem. Also any thoughts on getting another shift kit or other parts on hand or where I can find them in stock in Houston once I find the culprit....being its my DD, once a year in a pan is plenty for me.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

I would inspect the 1-2 accum assembly
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I would inspect the 1-2 accum assembly
Thanks for the feedback. I think you are spot on. I remember being concerned over the spring potentially dancing on the thin spring landing plate with the pin boss being the weakest link. That is the only reason I added the one washer was to try to make the landing more stable.

Any opinions good or bad on the following fix or improvement:

Option 1: Sonnax HP-4L60E-01 Performance Pack with pinless 1-2 Accum.

Option 2: New Transgo accum piston, springs, and drill a stack of washers to support spring landing from accumulator base instead of pin boss.

Option 3: Other recommendation on 1-2 Accumulator rebuild parts (piston, pin, etc.).
Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

The sonax option looks like the best to me. Personally though I dont use washer in the accum. I would rather use the larger feed hole for second in the plate and leave the accum set up stock IMO
Old 06-15-2009, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

Verdict is in....was a cracked 1-2 accumulator piston. Also while I was there....I let my two little torx screw buddies go for the shifter assembly....finally had enough of them...taking the last one out with vice grips....replaced them with two hex heads, lock and flat washers, along with anti-seize.