Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lowered 4x4 with a goofy ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered 4x4 with a goofy ride

Hi guys. I'm brand new to this forum, and I haven't gone through extensive searches as of yet, but I've got this ride condition that's driving me nuts, and I'm hoping that someone [or many] can help me out. As the title suggests, I put a Belltech 2/4 drop on my 2000 GMC excab 4x4. I'm running on 275/55-20's [Pirelli scorpions] and Boss 315 wheels. Rear shocks are stock length Monroe Sensatracs, and up front I'm running Bilstein 5100's.[I had the 5100's on the rear too, but the ride was a bit harsh for me, so I put the Monroes on to see what that would do for the ride quality. Bumps seem to be a bit easier to take. However, back to my problem. I'm getting what I describe as a double jounce in the rear while driving down any irregular road. The front bounces and rebounds once, and the rear kind of jiggles a bit and then settles down. This happened with the Bilsteins in the rear also, so it's not the shocks. How do all of your trucks run with drop? Is this a product of the 20's? I thought Pirellis were supposed to be very good riding tires. What are you guys running. I thought that with the Belltech drop and stock shocks, the truck should ride the same as it did at stock height. Is it the 20's? Would shock extenders do anything? Please help. Thanks for reading all of this
Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

i have the mcgaughys2-4 kit, and i am running belltech street and performance shocks all the way around and my ride is not bouncy at all, it is stiff and well controlled but not bouncy.

by chance did you forget to trim the rear bumpstops?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 006rcsb
i have the mcgaughys2-4 kit, and i am running belltech street and performance shocks all the way around and my ride is not bouncy at all, it is stiff and well controlled but not bouncy.

by chance did you forget to trim the rear bumpstops?
Yeah...Did you change or trim your bump stops. That sounds like it could be your problem. Also, when you say stock shocks, do you mean for a 4WD or 2WD? I would recommend putting 2WD shocks on it if you did not already.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think they have found your problem ^^^^^
Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Hey guys. The rear bump stops were changed with the shorter ones that Belltech supplied with the kit. I also trimmed the front stops down so that they just kiss the lower control arms. Now, I do have 4WD shocks in front and rear. Would changing to 2WD shocks make a difference? I thought that most people go with stiffer shocks after they lower their trucks. I know that the rear shocks are interchangeable between 2WD and 4WD, but what about the fronts? Anthony, What tires are you running?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the stock shocks are the problem, buy some drop shocks and your problem will be solved
Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

Belltech Street performance shocks are what you need. My lowered 4x4 rides better than my buddies 2wd. I also had to do a cnotch on a 4" drop because my frame and axle were slapping on big bumps.

How are those 55's tucking on your 2-4?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Teching In

The tires fit fine. I do get a little rub on the left front when making u-turns. The tire hits the rear of the inner fender panel, do to the fact that the e-brake cable runs down behind the plastic panel and pushes it out a little closer to the tire. I don't have a c notch, and I hope I never hit a bump big enough to wish I did.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by georodder
Hey guys. The rear bump stops were changed with the shorter ones that Belltech supplied with the kit. I also trimmed the front stops down so that they just kiss the lower control arms. Now, I do have 4WD shocks in front and rear. Would changing to 2WD shocks make a difference? I thought that most people go with stiffer shocks after they lower their trucks. I know that the rear shocks are interchangeable between 2WD and 4WD, but what about the fronts? Anthony, What tires are you running?
It will make a difference on the rear, but you should not have to replace the fronts. With drop spindles, you are not changing your shocks travel. The drop in the rear is however. You will either have to go with 2WD shocks or drop shocks in the rear.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

georodder, when you lowered your truck, did you remove the rear suspension bump-stop spacer bracket and bolt the bump-stop directly to the frame? Or did you bolt the new bump-stop onto the bracket?

It should be bolted directly to the frame, without the bracket. The bracket removes easily with 2 nuts, and the hole is already in the frame for the bump-stop.

Quick Reply: Lowered 4x4 with a goofy ride