Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

lowering 4x4 tosion key questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used lowering keys on my Sierra Denali, and lowering spindles on my 02 sierra. I feel no difference in ride either way. Both my trucks ride really nice for a lowered truck.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Launching!

I have a 4-6 4wd drop with spindles and decranked keys in the front and shackles and hangers with removed lift blocks out back. Im about to put some 2500 keys in just becuase the front is still about a 1/2" higher. So in short yes you can use 2500 keys, oh and with my keys decranked all the way I feel no difference in the ride quality but hey thats just me.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:22 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Belltech drop keys and have somewhere between 2 to 3 inches drop in the front. The truck rides differently, but I think it's nothing a good set of shocks will cure. It corners much better than it did at the factory height, and the ride is far from bouncy, especially with the 20's on. In the winter when I put in my 16" winter wheels it rides very smooth.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I have Belltech drop keys and have somewhere between 2 to 3 inches drop in the front. The truck rides differently, but I think it's nothing a good set of shocks will cure. It corners much better than it did at the factory height, and the ride is far from bouncy, especially with the 20's on. In the winter when I put in my 16" winter wheels it rides very smooth.

What did you do out back??
Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

I used Belltec lowering keys. Belltec said the keys would lower my truck up to 3 inches by reclocking the torsion bar. After installing the lowering keys I took it to the front end shop for alinement. The front end guy said he could not get more than 1 3/4 inch drop out of it, and still keep the front end within GM specs. You are going to loose ride quality. Taking 2 inches of suspension travel affects the ride. My truck has bumpsteer to the point of almost being dangerous. The ride is a litter more harsh,but I love the look.

In the rearI did 2 inch drop shackle, removed the blocks, and installed 1/2 inch bumpstops. The truck hit the bumpstops hard even over the small bumps.

I had to install firestone overload air bags. Wit 20 psi air in the bags it stopped slamming the bumpstops, and rides smooth in the rear. It did raise the rear 1/2 inch, but I am real happy with the ride in back. I'm saving my money for drop spindles up front to get suspension travel back.

Before

After

Last edited by Jeanyus; 08-13-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeanyus
I used Belltec lowering keys. Belltec said the keys would lower my truck up to 3 inches by reclocking the torsion bar. After installing the lowering keys I took it to the front end shop for alinement. The front end guy said he could not get more than 1 3/4 inch drop out of it, and still keep the front end within GM specs. You are going to loose ride quality. Taking 2 inches of suspension travel affects the ride. My truck has bumpsteer to the point of almost being dangerous. The ride is a litter more harsh,but I love the look.

In the rearI did 2 inch drop shackle, removed the blocks, and installed 1/2 inch bumpstops. The truck hit the bumpstops hard even over the small bumps.

I had to install firestone overload air bags. Wit 20 psi air in the bags it stopped slamming the bumpstops, and rides smooth in the rear. It did raise the rear 1/2 inch, but I am real happy with the ride in back. I'm saving my money for drop spindles up front to get suspension travel back.

Before

After
Well, I dropped my front 3" using keys and it aligned back to within factory specs. I had to trim the bump stops, and I can bounce the front end and I have a good 6-8 inches of travel. I never bottom out over bumps and it still rides like factory with the stock shocks.

In the rear, I removed the oem 2" block and the over load leaf. Then installed a 2" drop shackle and Monroe Sensatrac shocks. I removed the bumpstops and installed some shorter ones from Summit Racing. I also installed air bags, and with 5 psi in them, it never bottoms out.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by npb4me
Well, I dropped my front 3" using keys and it aligned back to within factory specs. I had to trim the bump stops, and I can bounce the front end and I have a good 6-8 inches of travel. I never bottom out over bumps and it still rides like factory with the stock shocks.

In the rear, I removed the oem 2" block and the over load leaf. Then installed a 2" drop shackle and Monroe Sensatrac shocks. I removed the bumpstops and installed some shorter ones from Summit Racing. I also installed air bags, and with 5 psi in them, it never bottoms out.

That amazing, since a stock height Chevy 4 X 4 doesn't have 8 inches of travel.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeanyus
That amazing, since a stock height Chevy 4 X 4 doesn't have 8 inches of travel.
How do you know? Is there a difference since my truck is AWD?

I can bounce the front of my truck from the height it is now, up and down 3-4 inches each way. I think a lot of this is because I trimmed the bumpstops.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
What did you do out back??
Sorry about the late reply, missed it somehow...

out back I removed the 4x4 lift blocks and installed Belltech 2" drop shackles for 4" of drop. You have to use 2wd u-bolts when you remove the lift blocks.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Cool. Thanks for all the info guys! Just need to get it done now. I'll post some pics as soon as I get it done.