Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lowering Kit Installation Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering Kit Installation Help Needed!

Who here in Houston would consider helping me put on my lowering kit? Someone that is familiar and confident doing it.
I have Belltech 2" spindles for the front and McGaughy's rear hangers and shackles.
I would also like to install my Caltracs at the same time. They are easy to install other than pressing out the O.E. front leaf spring bushing and replacing it with Caltrac's supplied bushing.
Just trying to save myself $375 on the install.
Anyone?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-19-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Exclamation

Aahhh I see! Everyone goes and hides on this one huh???

Jim
Old 04-20-2006, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would help u out man but my going rate is 200 bucks an hour hahaha j/k I would help u but I haven't the slightest clue of how to put the kit on, only thing I may be able to do is get u a cheaper price on the installation, a buddy of mine and his shop were gunna charge 250 I believe to drop my truck, I'll check and see again at work today
Old 04-20-2006, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did mine all by my lonesome It really is not a bad job and one you could probably tackle yourself. All you need is some jack stands, basic tool set. A good drill and mini sledge hammer. Took me the better part of the day to do mine.

The only recommendation I could give you is drill the factory rivets on the rear hangers first then drive them out with an air chisel. That is the method that worked the best for me and I tried grinding the heads off and cutting them off with the air chisel.

drilling then chiseling seemed to work the fastest and easiest. I would give you a hand but we are headed to the lake this weekend for the first boat trip of the year.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

i would offer to help but the only thing i could probably help with would be the shackles. 01thunder installed my hangers and stan's sotex installed my spindles.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Good gosh! It must be a pain if you guys are having others do it.
I know I can do it myself, but I will need help removing the bed.
I'm not too sure of what would be the correct pickle forks to use for the front spindles. I separated a lower balljoint from my previous silverados spindle, and out of three pickle forks, non of them worked properly. One way too big, the other almost worked, but bottomed out before it worked, and the other was too small. I ended up using the old balljoint nut and a big sledge hammer to beat it loose from hitting on the balljoint nut.
It messed up the nut and threads a bit, but really didn't matter because it was getting replaced anyways.
The ones on my truck are not being replaced, so any recommendations?

Jim
Old 04-20-2006, 06:51 PM
11 Second Truck Club

remove the bed? since when do we have to remove the bed for hangers and shackles?
the hangers are the hardest part. just make sure you don't have lots of gas in the tank or it will be a bitch to lower and move to the side. you can cut down the bolt that goes throught the front leafspring eye on the drivers so that incase you need to remove the leafspring, you won't have to lower the tank again unless your removing the hangers or something.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
remove the bed? since when do we have to remove the bed for hangers and shackles?
the hangers are the hardest part. just make sure you don't have lots of gas in the tank or it will be a bitch to lower and move to the side. you can cut down the bolt that goes throught the front leafspring eye on the drivers so that incase you need to remove the leafspring, you won't have to lower the tank again unless your removing the hangers or something.
I was told it makes the installation a lot easier. Not much holds on the bed anyways. You can't say it wouldn't make it easier with the bed out of the way. I know the tank has to come down as well.
I just wanted a little help from someone that has already done it. That's all.
It didn't mean they had to do all of the work.

Jim
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

me and another person tried to remove the driver side spindle but it wouldn't budge. i guess i had the same problem with the pickle fork being the wrong size. we ended up putting the wheel back on and i didn't have the patience to wait any longer. that is why i paid someone to install them.

btw, stan only charged me $100 for the spindles which i think is a good deal.

Last edited by leochevy2001; 04-20-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

I paid someone $150 to do mine. I think it was well worth it.

Quick Reply: Lowering Kit Installation Help Needed!