Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

LSD or Locker??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD or Locker??

Well I've slowly narrowed my selection of rear end options. I'm just looking for some insight from anyone who may have used any of these units. I have them listed in order of $$ I can get them for.

Detriot True-Trac *LSD*-gear type

Powertrax No-Slip *auto-locker*

Auburn Gear *LSD*-cone type

I'm kinda partial to the Powertrax because its going to be a much quicker install. The only downside i've been told of them is that they dont hold up well to high torque applications, but that is NOT an issue here as I dont plan on doing anything outrageous with my truck but I do play hard with it sometimes. As for the LSD options I'm not sure what benefits put one over the other, except for the fact the True-Trac has no clutches/cones to wear out. But is the effectiveness of it any better than a clutch/cone type? I was told years ago about how a standard LSD will keep power to both wheels all the time, except during slippage caused by turning the vehicle and the differences in wheel speeds. But in reading about the True-Trac's setup its seems that it normally operates only as an Open-Diff except when the power being transferred is too much for one wheel to handle.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-J '99' ECSB Z-71 5.3
Old 10-22-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get the Eaton before I got the Auburn.

Oh wait, I did.

What do you want to do with it? Are you going to be racing your truck? Normal daily driver stuff? Off-roading? You really need to give us your requirements before we can give you a good rec.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

The majority of it is just daily driving, somewhat spirited. I do hit the track on occasion along with doing some minor offroading.

The Eaton is also an option I just didn't list it.

-J
Old 10-23-2005, 01:35 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by w41quad4
The majority of it is just daily driving, somewhat spirited. I do hit the track on occasion along with doing some minor offroading.

The Eaton is also an option I just didn't list it.

-J
All out strength I'd say a detroit locker, for best all around I'd say the Eaton.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Someone correct me if i'm wrong here, but the LSD's, no matter if its a clutch type or a Zexel Torsen gear style, they are only powering the wheels once slip occurs? not to mention a gear driven style *Torsen* will actually lose all power if one wheel completely slips? -read something like somewhere.

Now the Powertrax unit would have complete locking power all the time except when in a cornering maneuver.

Basically I'm looking for the most traction I can get, short of having a completely locked rear-really dont want to spend the money on an E-locker or ARB air locker.

-J
Old 10-23-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, so it sounds like you don't want an LSD, but you also don't want to drive a locker, or pay for one. Do I have that right?
Old 10-23-2005, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

What I dont want to pay for is a $800-900 locker such as the E-locker or ARB air locker, I think they're just over kill for my application.

I'm just looking for some insight on what you guys think might better suit me, an LSD or the Powertrax. The Powertrax will give me performance similar to a locker but without the harsh engagement and noise typical of a true locker. As for the LSD I just think they might be too tame for what I want, But i haven't heard enough about them, especially the gear driven styles to make this decision. The more I think about it I would prefer to stay away from a clutch type due to the life span of the units.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:56 PM
what a rush!

What I dont want to pay for is a $800-900 locker such as the E-locker or ARB air locker, I think they're just over kill for my application.

I'm just looking for some insight on what you guys think might better suit me, an LSD or the Powertrax. The Powertrax will give me performance similar to a locker but without the harsh engagement and noise typical of a true locker. As for the LSD I just think they might be too tame for what I want, But i haven't heard enough about them, especially the gear driven styles to make this decision. The more I think about it I would prefer to stay away from a clutch type due to the life span of the units.
Detroit Locker, simple and strong, will unlock in turns, otherwise, both wheels are driving.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Do you have any problems with your locker such as tire chirping or any noise. I've heard some are really loud and harsh.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:59 PM
what a rush!

Do you have any problems with your locker such as tire chirping or any noise. I've heard some are really loud and harsh.
very little on both counts, when I'm running my 305/50-20's there is some slight chirping on the tightest slow turns(parking lot stuff), when I run my 245/75-16's, none.

Quick Reply: LSD or Locker??