Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

LSD for NNBS IFS diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD for NNBS IFS diff

When I get my 4.11 gear sets I would like to upgrade the front diff to some type of LSD, what is available? I've heard that you can get full lockers but I think that would be unnecessary and from what I hear not so good when road conditions are bad?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

if its for the front you definitely want something with a selectable locker. that way you have control of it and dont have to worry about it locking up when you dont need it.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think there are any available for the 8.25" IFS differential. Years ago there were some made (trutracs i believe) but the housing just isn't strong enough for a locker. The differentiating action is what keeps this diff alive for the most part.

This is why the serious offroad crowd swap in a solid front axle. Do a google search for the solid front axle swap on the GM 1/2 tons there's a lot of info about it.

There are some options for the 9.25" IFS in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, but it's a lot of work to swap those into the 1/2 tons.

As a side note, the reason the Escalades, Yukon Denali's, and stabilitrak-equipped SUVs do so well in slippery conditions without a front locker/limited slip is because of the wheel-brake traction control. It makes the axle act like it has a locker because the system won't let one tire just spin away while the other does nothing. It'll apply the brake to the spinning tire to transfer power to the other side, keeping both wheels on the axle turning all the time for maximum traction. I'm not sure if this system ever made it into the trucks though.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sintered
I don't think there are any available for the 8.25" IFS differential. Years ago there were some made (trutracs i believe) but the housing just isn't strong enough for a locker. The differentiating action is what keeps this diff alive for the most part.

This is why the serious offroad crowd swap in a solid front axle. Do a google search for the solid front axle swap on the GM 1/2 tons there's a lot of info about it.

There are some options for the 9.25" IFS in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, but it's a lot of work to swap those into the 1/2 tons.

As a side note, the reason the Escalades, Yukon Denali's, and stabilitrak-equipped SUVs do so well in slippery conditions without a front locker/limited slip is because of the wheel-brake traction control. It makes the axle act like it has a locker because the system won't let one tire just spin away while the other does nothing. It'll apply the brake to the spinning tire to transfer power to the other side, keeping both wheels on the axle turning all the time for maximum traction. I'm not sure if this system ever made it into the trucks though.
I figured this might be the case as my searching turned up zip.

I wouldn't go through all of the trouble swapping in the 9.25" IFS. Was really considering mostly because I see lots of guys launching in 4WD to get better traction but a few things make me hesitant.

1. The front end is wimpy compared to the rear. 8.25" vs 9.5"
2. The front end is an open differential

It would be nice to have when going offroad too, but not for the trouble of swapping in a solid axle or the 2500/3500 units.

IMO they should get rid of the 8.25" or just make the 9.25" standard on trucks with w/V8s or the Z71 package.