Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Major ping in the @#$

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:10 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not resolved yet, due to Christmas and all, but I have talked with Lyndon via e-mail, and he thinks it is the tune and he can resolve it.
I was wondering if it may be a lean condition but it runs fine WOT. Seems like it just wants to stay in top gear at too low a speed.
Strange part is that it shifts fine until it gets warmed up! Cold is great.
This is the stuff that really tweaks me, man!

Milan, what kind of / year truck you have? Yours does the same thing? What gear ratio's? I change mine to 3.73 but i think this problem started before the change.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Default 89/91 duel tune ping

I too seem to have this problem. I've got a westers 89/91 duel tune. pings like crazy while crusing 45-60. Haven't noticed a difference when truck is cold. Or while driving in 3rd. Will check tomorrow morning. I get a surge where it feels like the tc is locking and unlocking between 45-60 w/ very light throttle. Anyone else have this problem? I've running 3.42's w/ Westers, CAI, e-fans.

Shupe
Old 12-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 05 Silverado ECSB 2WD 3.73's that came with it. My truck is doing the same as you describe. The only difference is that my truck pings sometimes in third also. No problems going wide open. If I am cruizing say 40 or so and I give it alittle gas it stays in the same gear but pings like crazy. Sometimes it downshifts and the upshifts again within a couple of seconds of each other as I give it gas. Also when I am driving stop light to stop light sometimes it doesn't want to shift into the next gear it just stays say in second at like 3K rpms then after a few seconds it will shift. I have about 4000 miles on this tune and it really started to do it within the last 500-1000 miles I would say. At first I thought it was the gas but I have refilled with a different brand and it still does the same thing. Sometimes worse than others. Please update this thread when you find out the problem and I will do the same if I can figure it out.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:08 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

yeah, in 3rd. it's not as noticleable, but i think i still have a slight ping at lessor speeds in when driving in "3"rd.
I cant say i feel any surging but rather the tc wants to stay locked and NOT downshift when it should.

Any programmers wanna chime in?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I don't get any surging but under light gas it just doesn't want to shift into the next gear it just stays in a high rpm for a few seconds then it shifts. Only about 1 in 10 times though.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think throttle position sensor. It could be pinging because it's not getting enough TPS signal to go into power enrichment. Same thing causing no downshift.

Thank's my guess.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure what the problem could be, but I would definatly run some logging software and see for sure if the engine is detonating and see what the timing is at where the pinging occurs. If you don't have any logging software you can post here, someone local will probally help you out.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have this ping i think its normal with the Aluminium blocks, 12k miles with the ping and no problems i just put in one of the octane boosters or fill up with 89 to see if that helps and it does.
I think its because we have higher compression and the winter gas sux from what i heard, so i think 89 octane should help, in summer mine pings but only hear it if you are specially looking for it.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:47 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I am running pure 91 only from 76. Wester's thinks it's in the shift tables, but again, i have no clue.

If anyone in the Bay Area wants to help me out i would be much obliged! I am clueless when it get's technical.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:01 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
I would think throttle position sensor. It could be pinging because it's not getting enough TPS signal to go into power enrichment. Same thing causing no downshift.

Thank's my guess.

oooh that would definitely be the ticket....but no TPS codes? isn't he like a 2005 also. Crazy chance that thing went bad. But those tables are surely relying on a good tps read. However he did mention it happens in some gears and not others, I still say a bad tune design (copy and paste), tuner was ready to go to the bar when he was finishing his tune.

Quick Reply: Major ping in the @#$