Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

McGaughy's 3/5 Drop On '03 1500HD

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking McGaughy's 3/5 Drop On '03 1500HD

I recently installed a McGaughy's 3/5 drop in my 1500 HD 4X4. It was a pretty good install except for drilling - chiselling (with a pneumatic hammer) out the rivets in the hangers. Its just one of those stick at it jobs and eventually its done and then it feels good.

I ordered an economy kit and they sent me a deluxe kit so I had to call back and order the keys. So I ended up with a 3/5 2500HD35D kit for $37 less than they sell it for and minimal shipping charge on the keys to make up for their mistake. I did the install using the keys, hangers and shackles and I still have the spindles. I will install the spindles if or when I get some 17" or taller wheels (still on the stock 16" rims). I am already at the full drop so the only thing I might gain by installing the spindles is an improved ride in the front although the ride seems fine now just using the keys. The dealer was able to align the front back to spec except I now have an extra degree of caster.

I trimmed my front bump stops 3/4" and they seem to be fine. When I was done on the rear I was sitting on the stops or close to it so I trimmed the rear stops to about 1 1/4" from 3". I was banging the stops a lot at first. Then I adjusted the left side shackle to the lower hole to help reduce the lean in my truck of about 1" to the left. It is now level at the front and down about 1/2" lower in the left rear. If I measure to the frame it is even front to rear and side to side. Now it doesn't seem to bang as much. I tried towing my horse trailer and did not have any problems but it was empty. The rear went down about 1" to 1 1/4" when I hooked up the trailer. I do not seem to have any hum or driveline vibration at least none I can feel.

The parts seem to be of good quality and well designed and perform as advertised. The installation instructions need a little work and are confusing in one spot at least. The hangers and shackles are good for a 3", 4" or 5" drop and with just keys up front I got a 3/5 drop. I am very pleased with this kit and think anyone thinking of a drop should consider McGaughy's as one of their choices.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

An extra degree of caster is good. It will make your car turn better.

Now where are the pics?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:22 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mort
I recently installed a McGaughy's 3/5 drop in my 1500 HD 4X4. It was a pretty good install except for drilling - chiselling (with a pneumatic hammer) out the rivets in the hangers. Its just one of those stick at it jobs and eventually its done and then it feels good.

I ordered an economy kit and they sent me a deluxe kit so I had to call back and order the keys. So I ended up with a 3/5 2500HD35D kit for $37 less than they sell it for and minimal shipping charge on the keys to make up for their mistake. I did the install using the keys, hangers and shackles and I still have the spindles. I will install the spindles if or when I get some 17" or taller wheels (still on the stock 16" rims). I am already at the full drop so the only thing I might gain by installing the spindles is an improved ride in the front although the ride seems fine now just using the keys. The dealer was able to align the front back to spec except I now have an extra degree of caster.

I trimmed my front bump stops 3/4" and they seem to be fine. When I was done on the rear I was sitting on the stops or close to it so I trimmed the rear stops to about 1 1/4" from 3". I was banging the stops a lot at first. Then I adjusted the left side shackle to the lower hole to help reduce the lean in my truck of about 1" to the left. It is now level at the front and down about 1/2" lower in the left rear. If I measure to the frame it is even front to rear and side to side. Now it doesn't seem to bang as much. I tried towing my horse trailer and did not have any problems but it was empty. The rear went down about 1" to 1 1/4" when I hooked up the trailer. I do not seem to have any hum or driveline vibration at least none I can feel.

The parts seem to be of good quality and well designed and perform as advertised. The installation instructions need a little work and are confusing in one spot at least. The hangers and shackles are good for a 3", 4" or 5" drop and with just keys up front I got a 3/5 drop. I am very pleased with this kit and think anyone thinking of a drop should consider McGaughy's as one of their choices.
oh ****! I REALLY want to see some pics! please?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

this thread is useless without pics
Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

planing on doing the kit too. i though they had drop spindles that would work on 16 in wheels? how does the frund end ride compared to stock. defently would like some pics. quicksilverado or quicksilver something like that did a Mcgaughy's drop on his 4x4 and his looks bad ***.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

You really need to post pics for us 1500HD guys
Old 02-12-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

unredeemed - I figured an extra * of caster might be a good thing as well. Used to run lots on the Formula Ford.

unredeemed, moregrip, NeedASilverado!!, TheLadiesMan, L82gofast -
Working on some pics. The truck is covered in snow and road dirt so it needs a cleaning. I need to borrow a camera and find some place to host the pics so I will see what I can do.

TheLladiesMan - The kit for the 1500HD/2500 is a little different from the kit for the 15004X4. The 1500HD spindles are for 17" and larger wheels only while the 15004X4 kit has a choice of spindles. Part# 2000C for 16" wheels and you need to relocate the lower ball joint(means removing rivets) or Part# 2003T for 17" and larger wheels (no ball joint relocate required). You would have to check with them but they only show the #2003T spindles with the 15004x4 kit. I don't know why you couldn't use either though. McGaughys.
I am not sure how the 1500 would ride on keys only (4X4) but the 1500HD seems to ride about the same as it did stock. With spindles the 1500s should ride and handle the same as stock unless you add lowering keys (4X4) or lowering springs (2WD) as well. Some lowering springs are stiffer than others so it would depend on what springs are used. Spindles are definately preferred on the 1500s for a 2" drop.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

OK since This Thread Is Useless Without Pics

Here are a few for ya!

Hope you like 'em. Thanks for looking.

Stock Height :

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Dropped 3/5 :

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-12-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks good!!! i love the log house in the backround!
Old 02-12-2005, 06:40 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I love it!

hmmmmm

Quick Reply: McGaughy's 3/5 Drop On '03 1500HD