Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Mixing drop kits.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing drop kits.

Has anybody had any experience with mixing drop kits? I currently have a Hotchkis drop and I would like to go lower but keep the Hotchkis ride. I assume I would have to c-notch the rear and either go with shackles or hangers but what about the front? Has anybody uses lowered control arms or spindles with a Hotchkis drop?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Junkie

.?! I would think that as long as you kept the same spring rate and didnt throw off the geometry you could change its orientation with something like spindles or a flip kit and still be okay.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:15 AM
TECH Veteran

That's why I'm sort of leaning towards spindles up front. I'm not sure if the spring pocket in something like a DJM control arm would make the shorter Hotchkis spring too loose. Who here is running those McGhaugy (sp?) spindles? I think I heard that they needed to be ground down in order to work properly?
Old 12-01-2004, 04:33 AM
14 Second Truck Club

you can use some DJM spindles and shackles with a c notch.. it should be AAALLL good.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:22 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check out the McGaughy's stuff Jeff. I've not heard of having to grind them down, but I'm not all that familiar with them. I'm just going on what I've heard from my friends that do suspension work here in town, and they all say McGaughy's is the ish. I've thought about getting rid of the DJM LCA'a and going spring/spindle to try to get rid of my bumpsteer problem, but there are other mods that just keep bumping that down the list.

Oh, Smokinrice and I are going to convert ALL of you to 4/6 drops before you know it.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scream
Oh, Smokinrice and I are going to convert ALL of you to 4/6 drops before you know it.
Deep down, they all want a 4/6. They just don't know it yet!

OnTopic:

I would say the DJM Shackles and Spindles. I know belltech has a new spindle ouot and McGaughy's has 2 different version of theirs. One you have to run 18's or bigger and the others you can run stock 16's with.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:18 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, do you know what the difference is? Is there a benefit in going w/ the one for 18's as opposed to the one for the 16's?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:24 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

McGaughy's are a nice set of a spindles, we installed a set on 2 2004 Silverado's and they are nice. However, there is a bit of turning radius lost when spindles are used and you have to run at least 17's up front. Lower control arms may work, but it may have an adverse effect on ride quality with bump steer. I have LCA on my truck and I have had a lot of sway bar bushing problems.

All in all, spindles are probably yor best if you don't mind having to run 17's and lose a litlle steering radius.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scream
Chris, do you know what the difference is? Is there a benefit in going w/ the one for 18's as opposed to the one for the 16's?
I'm not real sure. I talked to on of the Mcgaughy guys at SEMA. Basically said they make two spindles.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokinRice
I'm not real sure. I talked to on of the Mcgaughy guys at SEMA. Basically said they make two spindles.
some one must try this.

The only thing I have heard of the Mcg spindles is that the wheel sits out a tad bit further. That was on A SS though. I'll try to find the link.

4/6 would be nice.

Quick Reply: Mixing drop kits.