Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

monroe reflex shocks. HORRIBLE RIDE

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:12 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monroe reflex shocks. HORRIBLE RIDE

05 2500HD.
stock shocks started to get bouncy over pavement changes, interstate overpass(conrete to asphault, then back) at about 90K. i finally replaced the shocks at 130K with the monroes and to be honest, i dont see a difference from my aged stockers.
i pull a box trailer everyday for work, and just ordered an enclosed hauler.
drove the truck today empty for the 1st time in a long time and the ride is very rough with these shocks.

seen a few threads were people recommend bilsteins in other threads. i should have spent the extra money the 1st round.
any opinions on these shocks, or which shocks i should go with?
id put the stockers back on but the ride wouldnt be any different.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my reflex shocks are very stiff and they just get stiffer the rougher the road gets.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
my reflex shocks are very stiff and they just get stiffer the rougher the road gets.
in a good way or a bad?
if i drive offroad on a jobsite or rough terrain, it will beat me out of my seat.
i have to crawl everywhere.
ive had them on my truck 6000 miles and im not impressed.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The Monroe Gas Magnums are what I recommend on work truck, although I'm not a fan on Monroe. I've got Bilsteins on my truck
Old 10-02-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJ
in a good way or a bad?
if i drive offroad on a jobsite or rough terrain, it will beat me out of my seat.
i have to crawl everywhere.
ive had them on my truck 6000 miles and im not impressed.
too stiff for a regular cab short bed 2wd truck. unloaded on rough roads the back end is all over the place. truck rides 10x better with 300lbs in the bed...but who wants to drive around with 300lbs in the bed.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:12 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

i cant hardly drive the truck empty. seriously.
quote from monroe.
Reflex® shocks and struts enhance stability by reducing body roll rate in evasive maneuvers and tight turns, and minimizing brake dive during sudden stops.
my truck feels like it has NO brakes and youll just about wreck it trying to over correct cause it leans so much.
joy.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:52 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my truck was at stock height the Bilstein HD series shocks made a big improvement over the factory red Tenneco shocks that my truck came with. The truck used to hit bumps harshly but after the Bilsteins it was very responsive with good rebound
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every shock has it's place. Every person has different expectations of ride. Sounds like you need to pick a shock that suites your driving and expectations. That's why their is many shock companies with many different types of shocks out there. One size does not fit all.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had those monroes on my old z71, i really like the ride, they were very smooth off and on road....
Old 10-02-2010, 10:25 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
Every shock has it's place. Every person has different expectations of ride. Sounds like you need to pick a shock that suites your driving and expectations. That's why their is many shock companies with many different types of shocks out there. One size does not fit all.
i appreciate your input, but how many shocks do i have to try before i find one i can live with?
the reflex is supposed to do everything i was interested in, but it is quite the opposite.
going off other peoples input, i can base my own decision on what i think will work for me.
ill let you know how it goes.
i should have got the edelbrocks or the bilsteins to start with, i just wanted to save a buck.
guys at the parts store are pretty good to me. ill ask them what they think about me trading my "top of the line" shocks for a less expensive version before i spend money on new shocks.

Quick Reply: monroe reflex shocks. HORRIBLE RIDE