Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

monroe reflex shocks. HORRIBLE RIDE

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Reflexes on my Avalanche; they replaced the crappy OEM Z71 Bilsteins. One of them locked up at about 20K and another puked it's oil at about 50K. The ride is a little stiffer on the Av with the Reflexes but I like it; there's considerably less body roll with them than with the Bilsteins. OTOH, I had the OEM Bilsteins on a 1994 Sonoma that were great; they still rode like they originally did at 8 years old and 94k miles.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
too stiff for a regular cab short bed 2wd truck. unloaded on rough roads the back end is all over the place. truck rides 10x better with 300lbs in the bed...but who wants to drive around with 300lbs in the bed.
I've the same problem with the bilsteins on my rcsb 4x4. I guess since most trucks sold are heavier EC & CC shock manufacturers valve their shocks for those and leave the minority of us rcsb owners alone.

My truck handles 100 times better with a load too, also the faster I hit stuff on the roads the better they feel, so definitely too stiff.

I was tempted to get some monroe Sensatracs
as most guys say they're soft, but I may bit the bullet and get some expensive Fox or King shocks. At least those can be revalved.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

problem solved.
both front shocks were blown. a arms soaked with oil/fluid, whatever. both bumpstops are almost ripped off their mounts.
looks like i might have to chisel them off and weld a new set on, i dont know how they mount.
got them off and the shocks pushed down with ease and did not come back up. ive never had a shock stay compressed and one did.
advance replaced them with no hassle. i went with the sensatracs this go round to keep my expense down for now. ill be getting some bilsteins down the road.

truck drives great. drove 70 miles today and its back to being a stiff 3/4 ton. no more bouncing, and it feels like i have brakes again.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TJ
problem solved.
both front shocks were blown. a arms soaked with oil/fluid, whatever. both bumpstops are almost ripped off their mounts.
looks like i might have to chisel them off and weld a new set on, i dont know how they mount.
got them off and the shocks pushed down with ease and did not come back up. ive never had a shock stay compressed and one did.
advance replaced them with no hassle. i went with the sensatracs this go round to keep my expense down for now. ill be getting some bilsteins down the road.

truck drives great. drove 70 miles today and its back to being a stiff 3/4 ton. no more bouncing, and it feels like i have brakes again.
I tried edelbrock ias, sensatrac, and bilstein HD. The bilsteins are my favorite.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I went from the stock JGP shocks to the Reflex's hoping to improve my ride on a rough 10 mile stretch I commute on daily. If I still had the JGP shocks i'd put them back on and throw these away. On rough surfaces they just suck. On a big hump the front end will float and bounce a couple times like 70's deville, on choppy bumps the dash looks like it's about to fall in my lap and the rear bounces around. On smooth roads they handle well. If you drive rough roads stay away from the Monroe Reflex!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok what would be a good RCSB shock?

I have reflexes and hate them.

I'm afraid Bilstein HDs will be too stiff, maybe not IDK, all I know is I hate the reflexes.

Thought about Bilstein comfort ride shocks

Also considered some KYB gas adjust or KYB monomax.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
Ok what would be a good RCSB shock?

I have reflexes and hate them.

I'm afraid Bilstein HDs will be too stiff, maybe not IDK, all I know is I hate the reflexes.

Thought about Bilstein comfort ride shocks

Also considered some KYB gas adjust or KYB monomax.
i have the bilstein comfort shocks on my front.

comfortable ride, a tad (boaty) lol, but very soft
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ketis
i have the bilstein comfort shocks on my front.

comfortable ride, a tad (boaty) lol, but very soft
monomax and bilstein HD will be very similar.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Teching In

I have monroe air shocks and the air comes out quick and dont work that good IMO