Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Moog Balljoints

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moog Balljoints

I've been looking for some info on this and I can't seem to get anywhere. I'm redoing the whole front end on my truck 2003 GMC Sierra K1500 and installed the MOOG K6540 upper balljoints but for the life of me I can't get the damn dust boot on!!! I've tried and tried and have already damaged one of them. There is a molded in metal ring in the dust boot that seems to be holding me up.

I've checked part numbers and the boots are correct for the joint they just seem to be such a perfect fit that they won't go on. Contacting MOOG didn't get a response from them at all. I am wanting to get a boot so I don't have to replace a brand new balljoint that has never been off the jack stand. Can a boot be bought seperately? Anyone have any tips on the MOOG boot install?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

only thing i can think of is using a oversized sucket an tapping it over ball joint
Old 10-25-2013, 04:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chevy-Fun
only thing i can think of is using a oversized sucket an tapping it over ball joint
Thanks for the reply.. Thats how I tore it.. lol I thought the same thing.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its not torn too bad, just keep it full of grease. it will still keep water out. did the same thing almost 8 years ago on my old truck and never had an issue. i just greased them every few months.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MonkeyRench
Anyone have any tips on the MOOG boot install?
I have a matco ball joint press kit. I use to use one of my deep 1/2 drive sockets to drive the boots on also. I just rebuilt the front end of my 03 Silverado about 3 months ago. I couldn't get the boots on either. I fought and fought with it. I tore one and the local parts store was nice enough to give me another one and just warranty the ripped one. So I ended up using one of the cups in the ball joint press. one of them fit perfectly onto the lip and it is smooth inside instead of the ribs from the socket. It went on perfect.

So if you don't have the cup from a press that fits it perfectly, just take the boot with you to your local metal supplier and get a short piece of pipe that is the proper inside diameter. Then wack it on. That should work well also.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice. My press is a rental and doesnt have the right size for the boot but the pipe idea sounds good. I will try that this weekend. Did you install Moog joints?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Launching!

The only thing I hate about moog balljoints. It takes me longer to get the damn boot on than it does to press em in. I just start one side on then walk it around with a pair of channel locks.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Teching In

1" PCV pipe reducer is what I used. Plus I filed a slight taper to one face of the joint to help get the bastard on.

MOOG even knows it is a PITA.

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pd...K11_102_En.pdf

A slight taper on one face to start installation, problem solved. I will never buy a moog upper balljoint again.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MonkeyRench
Thanks for the advice. My press is a rental and doesnt have the right size for the boot but the pipe idea sounds good. I will try that this weekend. Did you install Moog joints?
Yes I did. Lifetime warranty and my local parts store is great to deal with.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Quyonmob
1" PCV pipe reducer is what I used. Plus I filed a slight taper to one face of the joint to help get the bastard on.

MOOG even knows it is a PITA.

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pd...K11_102_En.pdf

A slight taper on one face to start installation, problem solved. I will never buy a moog upper balljoint again.
Thanks very much for that link and info. MOOG never did respond to me, at least they could have done was show me that. I love the product it's just this boot thing kicked my butt. I didn't get to it this past weekend but I will definetly try it this weekend.

Quick Reply: Moog Balljoints