Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

more rim/tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 06:39 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default more rim/tire questions

i have been looking at rims and it seems my options are prety limited. most 18x10 rims have backspacing designed for a lifted truck(rim/tire will stick out).

there are some nice 18x9 rims with standard offsets that would look prety good. std offset is about 5" back spacing. problem here is a 9" rim might be a little narrow for a 305/45/18. lots of rim choices in this size

then there are custom 2 piece rims where they just weld the center on any hoop you want with any back spacing. this would seem ideal but the choices in styles are slim. i could go with a 10" wheel and get a 6" back spacing if i want. it wont be soo cool looking though.

not sure what to do, i am leaning toward the 18x9's and get something that looks sweet.

now for a question. anyone know how much more a chrome plated wheel is vs polished aluminum? i am lazy and am prety sure a chrome wheel would look nice on my truck where a polished wheel would look like *** most of the time.

i ordered one 305/45/18" nitto just to see how it sits under the truck. if i like it then i will be ordering a set and some kind of rims. this is one of the hardest decisions i have had to make.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they will fit on a 9" wheel but i would recomend a 10" wheel but either way it will fit
Old 03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not go with anything less than the manufacturer's recomendations on rim width. For the 305/45r18 (and I'm assumming these are Nitto Nr555R DR) the minimum is 9.5" - I would recommend a 10" width as well. And a 7" backspace if you want to keep it within the fenders - this should still clear the inside fender as well.

Get a polished wheel and have it clearcoated.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 PM
single digit dreamer

7" back spacing sounded crazy so i went and measured and those numbers look to be ideal. i found a 2 piece wheel that is 18x9.5 and they list from a 4"-6" back spacing so i think they could go 7", they have 7" back spacing on some of their 18" wheels. i will call and ask tomorrow. they dont list any 10" wide rims for 18' so i am thinking they dont have it but i will ask that too.

i have looked at a ton of rim places and most of them have 1 piece forged rims. i called a couple of them and they are telling me i am stuck with the listed backspacing. 5" in most cases. too much work to change the backspacing i guess.

so far this is the only wheel i have found that i like that should meet all of the criteria.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

as far as aluminum vs chrome. the chrome is gonna be heavier. i have had chrome and polished. my opinion is i love polished. all i do is like once a month just rub them down with mothers billet polish and they look better than new.

Did you ever call centerline about making some of the other wheels wider?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:48 PM
single digit dreamer

i have talked to centerline and it seems if it is a 2 piece wheel than can use whatever hoop you want and any backspacing that will still be weldable. they have about any 15" hoop but i doubt they have a wide selection of 18" hoops. i will be calling them tomorrow and asking. if they can make that wheel at least 9.5" wide and at least a 6.5" backspacing i will be ordering one to see how i like it. if they can get a 10" rim then i will hold out for a 7" back spacing. i dont want these things sticking out at all.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you ever look at weld i know they will do custom stuff also and i know a guy on here by the name sunsetorange was selling a set of weld wheels with the following dimensions.

Weld Racing Axis 6 18x9.5 6.125 bs 6 lug
Old 03-10-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Manufacturers such as Boze, Billet specialties, Bonspeed, etc., have many more options as far as backspacing. But they are more expensive and not as readily available as Centerlines would be.

Hope they can provide you with what you need.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 PM
single digit dreamer

i called weld today and the guy on the phone told me i couldn't change the back spacing. i am geting the idea that even when you call them direct they dont always know what they can and can't do. they have one wheel that i like a lot but it is real expensive.

i am geting a little frustrated with the whole deal. i dont want to mess this up but it is time to step up to better tires if for no other reason than the firejunks are not safe at 130+mph.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:59 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Snakeoiler
Manufacturers such as Boze, Billet specialties, Bonspeed, etc., have many more options as far as backspacing. But they are more expensive and not as readily available as Centerlines would be.

Hope they can provide you with what you need.
you seem to know your wheels. who should i call or what web site would you recomend for geting me the wheels i want.

Quick Reply: more rim/tire questions