Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Moving the Shifter to the Floor / Console

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving the Shifter to the Floor / Console

Looking to move my shifter to the floor or possibly do a Suburban/Tahoe console swap. I know some of you have done this already. Just want some opinions or suggestions you might have to make it a little easier, like neutral safety switch hookup and backup lights hookup, etc. Thanks...

Here's what I've got in mind:

TCIŽ's new StreetFighterŽ Shifter features a Park/Neutral safety switch along with a reverse light activation switch. A universal shifter designed for all popular GM, Ford and Chrysler 3 & 4-speed transmissions, TCIŽ's StreetFighterŽ Shifter includes 5-feet of heavy-duty shift cable and all the hardware required for installation.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

silverwhistler did it with a custom fiberglass console
Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i gotta b&m composite x shifter...i think my back up lights work and it wont start up out of park or anything..i just unbolted the stock shifter and cut the the tow haul button wire..i just mounted to the floor and cut a hole in the floorpan for the cable..pretty simple..make sure it comes with the 4 speed plate and not for a 3 speed
Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
i gotta b&m composite x shifter...i think my back up lights work and it wont start up out of park or anything..i just unbolted the stock shifter and cut the the tow haul button wire..i just mounted to the floor and cut a hole in the floorpan for the cable..pretty simple..make sure it comes with the 4 speed plate and not for a 3 speed
yeah it does come w/ 4 sp plate. So how do you like yours, is the handle long enough mounted on the floor to not be a PITA? Thats the main reason (other than looks) I was considering going the console route.

Originally Posted by nightrunner
silverwhistler did it with a custom fiberglass console
Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not have to worry about hooking up the electronics on the shifter unless you want the interior lights on it. The electronic module on the tranny controls the back up lights, and natural safety switch. So there is no need to hook up anything other than the shift cable. Also you factory indicator will work as well.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw a Dodge that the owner had got a steering column "cover" from a stick shift truck to hide the removed column shifter and then mounted a B&M floor shifter on a heavy duty bracket he made and attached to the seat...maybe I can find a pic...
Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

This B&M is a nice unit, and very thin so you could easily mount it in a small place. I used one in the dune buggy where I mounted it between the seat and the console.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 04-08-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

TCI shifter in 1st post looks just like a B&M Megashifter, w/o logo on handle. Does it matter that these shifters don't say( or they didn't used to) if it will work w/ 4l60e/4l80e? I know on my Fbody, the B&M works on a 700R4, so since it's a 4l60e - electronics, in theory it should work on my 89 or my 04,right? On the Fbody 700r4(non-electronic 4l60), I spliced for neutral safety switch & instructions said if cable was adjusted improperly, I'd fry tranny. So as Dark Halo said about electronics control neutral s.s., if u swap on 4 spd. auto cover plate, u should be good, right? The cable is no longer the big concern it once was for adjustment & the electronics will handle that adjustment. yes or no? I'm curious too.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

All I had to use was the right plate that comes with the shifter and the cable. Everything else is taken care of. The tranny mount even has a few holders to keep your cable out of the way. I am using the B&M truck mega shifter for the added height.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

ive got this shifter here..i have it mounted to the floor and it sticks up above the seat..its pretty easy to shift..i was hoping it wouldnt be too low but it wasnt at all..i had to get the 4sd gate for it..i think it was 12 bucks

heres a link http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Quick Reply: Moving the Shifter to the Floor / Console