Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

My 1st Post Suspension for 02 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1st Post Suspension for 02 Tahoe

Hey guys and gals, Rick here. I just signed up and I'm looking forward to picking up some good info from here.

So this is my situation. I got an 02 Tahoe LT Flex Fuel and the suspension is ready for some attention. All I'm looking to do is get it back up to where is should be and since I'll have to replace some parts I want to replace them with quality stuff.
What I'm looking for is recommendations on gear and what I should replace.
My driving is city driving but I'm an aggressive and I do do down a few dirt roads here and there.

To be honest I really don't know much about this so I'm all ears. So far I've looked at the Bilstein HD shocks. I also want to replace my bushings with poly one.
Are there any kits you guys would recommend? Again, all new to this so don't assume I know.

Thanks guys in advance.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

I too have the same question...i have an 02 yukon denali...i bought my truck brand new in 02 and all the current suspension is still the original one and its running a little loose so it now needs many things replaced.
So far i think i need to replace tie rod ends..inner n outer....also pitman arm n idler arm....sway bar end links..bump stops...not sure what else i can replace, anyone else any input??
As far as shocks im going with the bilstein 5100 i heard these and the HD series drive about the same
Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Gabriel Max Control shocks on my truck, much better ride IMO than anything else I've tried.

I also have Eibach 3" drop springs and turned the keys down in the front to keep it level.

The ride quality is stiff, some potholes will make the front suspension bottom out- but handling is almost second to none, be it taking the twisties with a lead foot or sliding sideways down the interstate (dry) at 60mph.

Jerry, you've about named all the parts that you need to replace. On the front of the truck the suspension is actually supposed to ride the bump stops lightly- this makes the torsion bar act like a progressive spring rather than a linear one.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea.. they are called dampeners not bumpstops.. i thought that was crazy first time i heard it..

but yea thats a good list mentioned!

im working on a 2003 Z71 tahoe with 260k miles.. i gotta do the same thing as you.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
I use Gabriel Max Control shocks on my truck, much better ride IMO than anything else I've tried.

I also have Eibach 3" drop springs and turned the keys down in the front to keep it level.

The ride quality is stiff, some potholes will make the front suspension bottom out- but handling is almost second to none, be it taking the twisties with a lead foot or sliding sideways down the interstate (dry) at 60mph.

Jerry, you've about named all the parts that you need to replace. On the front of the truck the suspension is actually supposed to ride the bump stops lightly- this makes the torsion bar act like a progressive spring rather than a linear one.
Hey suburbazine, let me ask you something.
Did you drop your truck at all? I dont want to drop it but i do want to replace the old and worn out stock suspension with something that will give me a good ride and take my aggressive driving so to speak.

thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did drop mine, however if you don't want to drop yours it will handle like a barge no matter what you try to do. As long as the center of gravity is high the truck will have a lower amount of force needed to roll it.

You can get Eibach swaybars that are stiffer than the stock ones, but the truck will still have a tendency to roll in the corners. The shocks are only good for handling abrupt maneuvers or bumps. However, if you're looking to keep good ride quality, don't change anything more than just the shocks. Anything you do to stiffen the suspension will make small bumps turn into big bumps.

Here's what mine looks like dropped:

It handles like a go-cart and has comparable ride quality...bone-jarring on occasion but still able to tackle bigger bumps than most cars.

Last edited by Suburbazine; 10-23-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Teching In

I did drop mine, however if you don't want to drop yours it will handle like a barge no matter what you try to do. As long as the center of gravity is high the truck will have a lower amount of force needed to roll it.

You can get Eibach swaybars that are stiffer than the stock ones, but the truck will still have a tendency to roll in the corners. The shocks are only good for handling abrupt maneuvers or bumps. However, if you're looking to keep good ride quality, don't change anything more than just the shocks. Anything you do to stiffen the suspension will make small bumps turn into big bumps.

Here's what mine looks like dropped:

It handles like a go-cart and has comparable ride quality...bone-jarring on occasion but still able to tackle bigger bumps than most cars.
Your truck is almost identical to mine, even color. I pictured your ride to be lower than that.
Right now I've decided to go with the Bilstein HD shocks, I've head good things about them. But besides that, I really don't know what else I should change.
Today I jacked up my front end and I saw that just about all my rubber fittings need to be replaced. My front dampers or bumpstops are gone, the only thing there practically is the base. What is left is completely dry rotter.
What I really need are the names of manufacturers I should stick with.

I spoke to a rep from Autoanything.com the other day, and so far he's my only source of information, hence me trying on here to get more feedback.

thanks for the info, it's really appreciated.
R.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rickp
Your truck is almost identical to mine, even color. I pictured your ride to be lower than that.
Right now I've decided to go with the Bilstein HD shocks, I've head good things about them. But besides that, I really don't know what else I should change.
Today I jacked up my front end and I saw that just about all my rubber fittings need to be replaced. My front dampers or bumpstops are gone, the only thing there practically is the base. What is left is completely dry rotter.
What I really need are the names of manufacturers I should stick with.

I spoke to a rep from Autoanything.com the other day, and so far he's my only source of information, hence me trying on here to get more feedback.

thanks for the info, it's really appreciated.
R.
AutoAnything is a good place to buy from.

For the bump stops, stick with OE GM stuff. The front and rear bump stops just pry out of the metal base they're stuck to. For any bushings I would also recommend GM or Eibach stuff.

For idler, idler arm and pitman arm, stick with MOOG parts. Anything lesser just wears out that much faster. And hey, even though it isn't lab tested/proven, cryo-treating them have made mine last far longer than normal this go round.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Teching In

AutoAnything is a good place to buy from.

For the bump stops, stick with OE GM stuff. The front and rear bump stops just pry out of the metal base they're stuck to. For any bushings I would also recommend GM or Eibach stuff.

For idler, idler arm and pitman arm, stick with MOOG parts. Anything lesser just wears out that much faster. And hey, even though it isn't lab tested/proven, cryo-treating them have made mine last far longer than normal this go round.
Great, thank you for the info, very much appreciated.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

What about ball joint in the control arms...should those be replaced also? If so how often...or do they not wear out...which kind would u guys use?
How about control arm bushings?

Quick Reply: My 1st Post Suspension for 02 Tahoe