Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

My confidence in my 80E is SHAKEN

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forward clutch for first gear, Forward clutch and Intermediate for second. Does it not down shift into first during acceleration or does it start in second at times?

I'm going to guess lowwer roller clutch....

Roger, I'll trade you trucks... You install a roll pan and paint, I'll rebuild trans....
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked mine up used with 130,000 miles on it and brownish colored fluid. After bouncing around in the bed for a few weeks when I pulled the pan off I found a similar situation only no big chunks, just lots of clutch debris. What I could see when I put the shift kit in was good healthy looking clutch packs. I had to pull the VB off about 3 weeks later and again there was a lot of crap laying in the bottom of the pan. I haven't had the pan off since but suspect there will be more debris. My thinking was years of normal buildup in the torque converter worked loose when it was laying in the bed of my 99 for those few weeks and is now finding its way back to the pan. My 80E works perfectly though so wherever it came from must not be causing an issue just yet.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I installed the shift kit. I didn't install the clutch springs no sprag in the kit.
Wild is right looks like maybe pieces of roller clutch to me too. Im hate to talk about mine because then it will blow up the next next time I drive it like the the G80 did. I will say however my kit came with the springs, and we installed them, along with the pump mod. I also changed the sprag, I think it came in the kit but Im not 100% sure.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado
Are you sure its not fragments the drilling while putting in the shift kit?

Dustin
Positive its not from the shift kit install. I did all the drilling to the VB on the bench and cleanded it well.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Oh man, aint that the truth!

Hey Roger, are those chunks magnetic? They don't look to be metal from the pics...at first I thought that it was actually one of the pan magnets broken up into pieces, then I noticed that the chunks had different thicknesses and an almost "rubbery" look to them...
All appear to be metal. None aluminum or rubber.

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Forward clutch for first gear, Forward clutch and Intermediate for second. Does it not down shift into first during acceleration or does it start in second at times?

I'm going to guess lowwer roller clutch....

Roger, I'll trade you trucks... You install a roll pan and paint, I'll rebuild trans....
It will downshift to first perfectly while cruising. The second gear starts are just basically idling away from a light and then giving a little pedal, you can feel it lug just a bit then drop into first and accelerate smoothly.

Dude if you were anywhere near close to me we would work the barter system!

Originally Posted by stock48
Wild is right looks like maybe pieces of roller clutch to me too. Im hate to talk about mine because then it will blow up the next next time I drive it like the the G80 did. I will say however my kit came with the springs, and we installed them, along with the pump mod. I also changed the sprag, I think it came in the kit but Im not 100% sure.
Pretty sure it was an HD-2 kit. And no sprag. I see that being a HP mod to be done, replacing the 16 for a 32 element sprag. Only parts left from the kit were the intermediate? springs and an inner snap ring.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, no sprag in the hd-2. I know what you are talking about with the second gear starts. mine did the same thing when the planet gear bearing took a crap in the lower reaction carrier...

It is only a 4,200 mile round trip..
Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

That reminded me of James B's post:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2&postcount=18
Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Damn Roger I'm hate to see these 80e threads but atlaest you have a spare ready to go in.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I put he new harness in and buttoned it back up tonight. Until I do something the furthest it's going is in and out of the garage.

These larger parts were laying in the drain pan.

These and the little round bits look like parts to this plate and springs. Direct clutch piston return? Pic borrowed from Blown3qt rebuild thread.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man, I didn't think the 80 would have to be touched after you threw it in there. What are the larger pieces from? They don't look to be clutch material as well
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZR1 DREAMING
Damn man, I didn't think the 80 would have to be touched after you threw it in there. What are the larger pieces from? They don't look to be clutch material as well
Yeah, you and me both thought the 80e would go. Don't think its hurt badly but still have to pull the damn thing.

I really have no idea what the chunks are from. Hoping somebody will recognize them but it really doesn't matter. It will be evident when they come out.

Quick Reply: My confidence in my 80E is SHAKEN