Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

My confidence in my 80E is SHAKEN

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to sound like a dick head on this one, but with it being a factory 80E it held up well with you high 11's and low 12's all day long with just a Transgo kit in it. Get that bad boy built up and go back to playing.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coban
That reminded me of James B's post:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2&postcount=18
James was referring to the the overdrive roller, seams how KySilverado is having some issues with first I dont think that roller clutch would have much to do with it... but you never know....

Originally Posted by KySilverado
These larger parts were laying in the drain pan.
That looks like thrust washer material to me. Is the edges rolled up on on the largest piece or is it totally flat?... **** it looks big enough, see if there is a part number on it...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hahaha, no part numbers on it. It's not a thrust washer. Its flat to a point then starts a radius. Has wear on both sides. I think its part of the forward sprag.

Last edited by KySilverado; 06-05-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 PM

Some thrust washers do have one raised edge, but I cant think of one off hand the both sides are raised...

Old 06-06-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevytruck
Not trying to sound like a dick head on this one, but with it being a factory 80E it held up well with you high 11's and low 12's all day long with just a Transgo kit in it. Get that bad boy built up and go back to playing.
I've given this some thought before responding. No dick headiness taken However I disagree. I think the 80E should with stand my power levels for quite a while. The stock 65e with Transgo I took out before the 80e actually held up to the same and quite a bit longer and more miles. Was still fine when I pulled it.

I believe I am to blame for the trans failure or it was damaged in from a hard lick in an accident or something. I either screwed up the trango install. (not likely since it actually worked) or I strongly believe I screwed up, broke whatever is spitting out these bits, when I re-installed my pump after modding it for the PI converter. The first time I put the pump back in the parts underneath it weren't seated properly and I torqued the pump down on them. I think I actually broke whatever then and its been running like that ever since the first pull out of the garage. The bits were at the very bottom of the pan buried in clutch sludge. Indicating they had been there a long while.

Anyway I've decided to pull my spare from the corner and go through it and add a few upgraded parts to it and throw it in. Whatever is wrong with the one in it will be a mystery for a while. I'll eventually tear it down and see and rebuild it.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Some thrust washers do have one raised edge, but I cant think of one off hand the both sides are raised...
Pardon my stupidity but is the thrust washer the bigger round piece or the smaller diameter piece. If its the bigger piece I know its not from that. Its to thick. The picture isn't real clear but both sides aren't raised. Its dead flat and one side is raised. It could possibly be a piece off the smaller diameter part that looks what I would call a thrust bearing.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just make sure whatever you do, TAKE PICS, or Dusty will be all over your *** like he was/is on Ben
Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roger is good at taking pictures.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Coban
That reminded me of James B's post:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2&postcount=18
Originally Posted by KySilverado
Pardon my stupidity but is the thrust washer the bigger round piece or the smaller diameter piece. If its the bigger piece I know its not from that. Its to thick. The picture isn't real clear but both sides aren't raised. Its dead flat and one side is raised. It could possibly be a piece off the smaller diameter part that looks what I would call a thrust bearing.
Thrust washers come in about a million different sizes. all of the crap in my pic is thrust washer/bearings... I find it hard to believe a sprag could start to loose parts and still work. There is just not enough room in there for the sprag rollers and other small pieces of crap and still allow the sprag to freewheel and lock...
Old 06-06-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've been looking through all pictures of 80e parts I can find. The little detail with the arrow is what I'm looking for. It's not a break there its suppose to be there.

Quick Reply: My confidence in my 80E is SHAKEN