Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

My new 4L65E mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I dunno Roger, I'm a fan of the gearing and less parasitic loss of the 60/65E, but with your history, you may be a good candidate for the 80E swap

(I really just made this post so I could use the shrug smiley )
Ya, but everybody knows these Radix MP112's don't make any "real" power, so I shouldn't need the 80.

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
If only you knew back then, what you know now.
I still don't know anything now. Point proven by me fixing the 65 again.

Originally Posted by swampthing
Was your trans built up here?
Yep, in beautiful downtown Wasilla.

Originally Posted by TIM Z
The zipper is easier than Dzus fasteners, hard to get a screw driver in there! LOL.

Is this a pic from from Hubris' trans install? ( i know the case is too nice)
I heard he's gonna leave the reverse stuff out, cuz it's a race-truk!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was wrong with your trans man? 3-4 clutches?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Yes, 3-4 clutches. It held strong in 1, 2, or 3, but slipped about 500-800 rpm in 4th. They were starting to turn black and flake off.

Found the spring behind the pump slide very weak. My builder thinks that may have been allowing line pressure to drop at high rpm. Something about overpowering the spring? Made some changes to the valve body also, and replaced all of the frictions again. It's 100% new again.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:30 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Yes, 3-4 clutches. It held strong in 1, 2, or 3, but slipped about 500-800 rpm in 4th. They were starting to turn black and flake off.

Found the spring behind the pump slide very weak. My builder thinks that may have been allowing line pressure to drop at high rpm. Something about overpowering the spring? Made some changes to the valve body also, and replaced all of the frictions again. It's 100% new again.
Yep, that sounds like what mine did.

Talk to Terry At Precision Industries, he gave me lots of insifght and tips on how to prevent 3-4 failures in 60e's. He also reccomends borg warner clutches, not altos.

See the 1-2 shift forces fluid behind the 3-4 clutch pak, a drain hole should be drilled in the accumulator piston housing so no fluid will build up behind the 3-4 pak when it shouldnt. Terry can explain this better.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meh id personally use bubble gum lol
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Yep, that sounds like what mine did.

Talk to Terry At Precision Industries, he gave me lots of insifght and tips on how to prevent 3-4 failures in 60e's. He also reccomends borg warner clutches, not altos.

See the 1-2 shift forces fluid behind the 3-4 clutch pak, a drain hole should be drilled in the accumulator piston housing so no fluid will build up behind the 3-4 pak when it shouldnt. Terry can explain this better.
Red Altos (3 years ago) and Alto wide band only lasted me 6 weeks on my first build. Since then it's been Raybestos blue 3-4 clutches and a carbonite band. Seems to last between 5-8 months. This build has the BW 3-4 pack, and this is the first time we've tried them.

We (on a TransGo recommendation) drilled a hole in the input drum to accomplish the same thing as you drilling the accumulator piston housing. Supposed to work better because it is closer to something? We will see how things go. There were some other strategy changes made in the transmission this time. If it doesn't last, I'm going to swap to the 80E. Approaching a $9000 4L65E at this point.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the zipper but when I read the title I thought we were talking about an 80!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince B
I like the zipper but when I read the title I thought we were talking about an 80!
Hey Vince, I'm glad that you didn't send me mine with a zipper on it when you built it!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Red Altos (3 years ago) and Alto wide band only lasted me 6 weeks on my first build. Since then it's been Raybestos blue 3-4 clutches and a carbonite band. Seems to last between 5-8 months. This build has the BW 3-4 pack, and this is the first time we've tried them.

We (on a TransGo recommendation) drilled a hole in the input drum to accomplish the same thing as you drilling the accumulator piston housing. Supposed to work better because it is closer to something? We will see how things go. There were some other strategy changes made in the transmission this time. If it doesn't last, I'm going to swap to the 80E. Approaching a $9000 4L65E at this point.
Sounds like you have done your reaserch too bud!

Hope this Helps ya, but i hear ya on the 60e rebuilds/cost. I went thru 4 of them in about 1000 miles, All lost 3-4 gear, My First trans was a RPM LVL 5 70E, it lasted the longest but fried 3-4, so then we used Alto high heat clutches, but still lost those. I just said no more as i have too much time and money in it so im doing the 80E.

I would have like to seen if drilling that hole to drain fluid would have helped, but i had enough of getting my hopes up!

Good luck bud, keep us informed, and get ahold of us when you need info on swapping an 80e in! ( No SARCASM IMPLIED, Just thoughtful jesture) !
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Hey Vince, I'm glad that you didn't send me mine with a zipper on it when you built it!
LOL Sorry I was out of them that day! I think I installed buttons on Tom's trans cause he wanted something that you didn't have!

Kidding of course!

Quick Reply: My new 4L65E mod