Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

my revised build list - check me

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used probuilt on my 4l60e shift kit and Dana was the man. I got my torlon check *****, hd2 and new sonnax forward piston along with new factory 1-2, 2-3 aluminum pistons and a new seperator plate as well, that he predrilled for my app. All worked fine and he really knows his stuff. I just installed a shift kit, but I would image he could get everything one would need.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I called Dana 2 times today. I left a message. I know he's gotta be busy, I placed an order on his website for a few things. He's in Calimesa less than an hour from me.

today I ordered:

billet output shaft
input drum reinforcement collar, with pistons, o rings etc.
BEAST shell
BW high energy clutches
13 vane pump rotor and slide
BW high energy band

im getting there, but still have a few expensive parts to get like the 5 pinion planetaries and the input drum/shaft
Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Let me know how it works out with Dana, I am looking at using him for a turbo 400 kit for my father. I think after how complete his stuff was I would like to use him again.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

will do. I plan on posting some parts and build pics when I dig into it.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

I also added the sonnax HD 2-3 shift valve as well, you might want to add that as it keeps the overun clutches on in 1,2,3.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

are you talking about the boost valve in the pump?

do you have a link?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

This one. I got it from Dana also. I have an 05 ECSB also with the L33 5.3 in it and added the trucool 40k cooler as well.

http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/...ion/parts/3007

Features & Benefits
• Drop-in-replacement valve
• Extends life of the forward
clutch and input sprag
• Ideal for electrically
downshifted units with
aftermarket paddle shifters
HD 2-3
Shift Valve
Part No.
77754-41
1 HD 2-3 Shift Valve
Part Summary:
Sonnax has developed a drop-in replacement 2-3 shift valve that applies the overrun clutch in D3, 1st , 2nd and 3rd
gears where the factory valve applies the overrun clutch only in D3, 3rd gear. Applying the overrun clutch in 1st and
2nd provides added durability to the input sprag and forward clutch in heavy duty vehicles, plow trucks and high
performance applications. In addition, this upgrade works well with applications using aftermarket electronic
“paddle” shifters. With the overrun clutch on, the Sonnax valve allows full downshift engine braking in 2nd, while
the shifter remains in the D3 position.

Last edited by 48548; 06-07-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you have compiled a pretty good list of parts thus far!

Originally Posted by 06sierra5.3
1. yes, the offer a larger drum to accomodate the wider band.
I just want to comment on the above statement. It seems that when vendors use the term surfaced drum to accommodate for a wide band, they are blowing smoke up your a$$! This is a marketing technique to sound like they are doing something great when in reality they might just be turning a drum on a lathe with sandpaper. Not that cleaning up a drum is a bad thing providing its not dished. However they are not making the surface area for the band any wider than what you would get with a new stock drum. I have installed thousands of factory drums with wide bands and never had a clearance issue. In most cases a used drum will be dished and that is why some would prefer to use a narrow band. I check all drums with a straight edge and pitch more than I save if that tells you anything. Not sure what you guys pay for a new drum but if you are paying over $50 your paying to much. I use a new drum in every performance build I do and always use a wide band. For what its worth spend the money on these two pieces, you'll be happy you did! HTH Vince
Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince B
It looks like you have compiled a pretty good list of parts thus far!

I just want to comment on the above statement. It seems that when vendors use the term surfaced drum to accommodate for a wide band, they are blowing smoke up your a$$! This is a marketing technique to sound like they are doing something great when in reality they might just be turning a drum on a lathe with sandpaper. Not that cleaning up a drum is a bad thing providing its not dished. However they are not making the surface area for the band any wider than what you would get with a new stock drum. I have installed thousands of factory drums with wide bands and never had a clearance issue. In most cases a used drum will be dished and that is why some would prefer to use a narrow band. I check all drums with a straight edge and pitch more than I save if that tells you anything. Not sure what you guys pay for a new drum but if you are paying over $50 your paying to much. I use a new drum in every performance build I do and always use a wide band. For what its worth spend the money on these two pieces, you'll be happy you did! HTH Vince

thanks for the post Vince. I wasn't entirely sold on the wider band thing.

doesn't a wider band lessen apply pressure? the pressure is dispersed over a larger surface area, reducing the overall apply pressure? or am I just nerding out?

I ordered a BW high energy stock width band, this should be sufficient with all the accomodating parts shouldnt it?

thanks again
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 48548
This one. I got it from Dana also. I have an 05 ECSB also with the L33 5.3 in it and added the trucool 40k cooler as well.

http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/...ion/parts/3007

Features & Benefits
• Drop-in-replacement valve
• Extends life of the forward
clutch and input sprag
• Ideal for electrically
downshifted units with
aftermarket paddle shifters
HD 2-3
Shift Valve
Part No.
77754-41
1 HD 2-3 Shift Valve
Part Summary:
Sonnax has developed a drop-in replacement 2-3 shift valve that applies the overrun clutch in D3, 1st , 2nd and 3rd
gears where the factory valve applies the overrun clutch only in D3, 3rd gear. Applying the overrun clutch in 1st and
2nd provides added durability to the input sprag and forward clutch in heavy duty vehicles, plow trucks and high
performance applications. In addition, this upgrade works well with applications using aftermarket electronic
“paddle” shifters. With the overrun clutch on, the Sonnax valve allows full downshift engine braking in 2nd, while
the shifter remains in the D3 position.

Im pretty sure this comes in the HD-2 shift kit, no? thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: my revised build list - check me