Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

My time for Circle D, Give me some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My time for Circle D, Give me some insight.

Alright guys I finally got a much better paying job so its time for me to pick up modding pace, Next on the list is Built 60E and Circle D verter. I will be ordering the verter in the next 2-3 weeks and then building the trans after that.

Question is, Not sure what I want to run..

1. 3B- Stage I Billet Single Disk, 258mm - 10 1/4" 3200-3400
OR
2. 2C- Stage I Billet Single Disk, 245mm - 9 3/4" 3200-3400

Only difference is size correct?

I am not looking to make a track queen, just a nice street truck while trying to maintain good street manors .

I do a mix of city and Hwy driving. I know the 2C will take a little more pedal then the 3B to get moving but what other difference would there be? Will there be much difference between the 2 during everyday driving?

Anyone have experience with the 3B or 2C please share Videos, experiences, etc..

I will be doing a mild 6L build hopefully before the end of summer, Nothing crazy just a mild cam( mid to upper 22X or lower 23X) and maybe some milled heads or L92 heads still unsure.. So keep that in mind.

Thanks guys
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats D! Didja call Chris? He'll help your decision. Any towing will play a part in which u pick too, among other things. IIRC, the bigger convertor is better for towing. I think it's also better day to day driving w/. that logic, but if I'm incorrect, someone will surely chime in.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Tom, Havent talked to Chris yet. Wanted to hear what you clowns had to say first

As far as towing, I dont do any. I dont even have the tow package on anymore. If I ever did throw a hide-a-hitch on it would be for very light towing, like a motorcycle trailer. Basically just normal everyday driving, Mainly to work and back and couple places here and there with the occasional road trip. And there will be the occasional trip to the track.. I figured the bigger one would be better for DD driving, But would it be enough difference to worry about?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everyone's opinions are great, But when it comes to convertors, trans & their mods, gears, cams, I always porefer to talk to the horse's mouth. Who knows better than the builder? Chris might even make u think of somethin u might not have previously. That little lightbulb goes off ya know? Just my opinion.

Either way, I see u already have a Tru-Cool. I still gotta get that. BTW, I went w/. a 258mm, but a lower stall & it should be installed in a month or less.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Everyone's opinions are great, But when it comes to convertors, trans & their mods, gears, cams, I always porefer to talk to the horse's mouth. Who knows better than the builder? Chris might even make u think of somethin u might not have previously. That little lightbulb goes off ya know? Just my opinion.

Either way, I see u already have a Tru-Cool. I still gotta get that. BTW, I went w/. a 258mm, but a lower stall & it should be installed in a month or less.
Ya I see what your saying, Just seeing if there was anyone had any real experience with the 2.

Make sure to post up after yours is in!!

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
Go for a 245mm with a stall around 3600. I'd run a Yank ss3600 tweaked to match your mods and future plans. I'd keep the stock trans since you already have a shift kit in there unless your having issues with it but that's just me.
Trans. isnt giving me any problems yet, But I dont want to put a nice stall in and have the stock trans go and take the stall with it. And I want a built trans in before the 6L swap while I have the money, instead of worrying about it later if/when it breaks.

I know built 60E's are not bulletproof, But a 1 year warranty and builder with a good record will help me sleep better at night
Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I ran a sst3600 stock trans with shift kit and vette servo for a while ,and ran good. a sst3600 is a 3c from circle d. I would go 4c if I were you. you get used to a stall after a while, and I wish I would have waited and done a 4c...3600-3700 stall. the 6.0 will like the 4c as well. chris at circle d is a good help!!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
Ya I see what your saying, Just seeing if there was anyone had any real experience with the 2.

Make sure to post up after yours is in!!

Trans. isnt giving me any problems yet, But I dont want to put a nice stall in and have the stock trans go and take the stall with it. And I want a built trans in before the 6L swap while I have the money, instead of worrying about it later if/when it breaks.

I know built 60E's are not bulletproof, But a 1 year warranty and builder with a good record will help me sleep better at night
Will do, should be soon.
Likewise, u don't want a stock stall it's guts into a nice built trans. That's why I'm upgrading both at the same time.

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
...I'm pushing 400hp through my 115k mile stock trans with not one issue. Cutting 1.75 short times soon to be 1.6x on the same stock trans. I run drag radials on the street with a harsh locker out back and bury the throttle almost everytime I drive. These 4l60e's are stout if you know how to drive an automatic. It's all in the maintenance and the TUNE. Not knocking you for peace of mind just throwing it out there that these 4L60e's can take abuse if you wanted to hold out for awhile longer. ...
Wow! Any TQ Mgmt on yours, servos or shift kit? I'm guessing u have an auxiliary trans cooler as a precaution at minimum. How often have u changed your fluid or running Amsoil / some synthetic? You said it's all in maintenance & tune. driving habits & a lil luck too cause I've buried the pedal at stoplights many times. Barely a day goes by that I don't.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-13-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastrt
I ran a sst3600 stock trans with shift kit and vette servo for a while ,and ran good. a sst3600 is a 3c from circle d. I would go 4c if I were you. you get used to a stall after a while, and I wish I would have waited and done a 4c...3600-3700 stall. the 6.0 will like the 4c as well. chris at circle d is a good help!!
Idk man 3C is a little more than I was looking for, let alone a 4C. I know the 6L will like a 3600+ better than 3200-3400, But like I said just looking to make a nice street truck not a track queen.. 3400 should suffice for my needs..

Thanks for the input tho. I appreciate it..

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Will do, should be soon.
Likewise, u don't want a stock stall it's guts into a nice built trans. That's why I'm upgrading both at the same time.
I am with you buddy..

Last edited by D_reks{5.3}; 08-25-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Pour a pound of sand down the filler tube to polish the insides of the tranny 1st.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
Ya I know they can take some abuse if set up right, I just have peace of mind knowing its built. Like i said mine is fine now, and with plenty other guys that put 400+ hp thru that 60e and its fine. But then you have people like Parke10 and burn em up in stock trucks haha.. Thanks Matt

Idk man 3C is a little more than I was looking for, let alone a 4C. I know the 6L will like a 3600+ better than 3200-3400, But like I said just looking to make a nice street truck not a track queen.. 3400 should suffice for my needs..

Thanks for the input tho. I appreciate it..

I am with you buddy..

I will sell you my stall then. you will like it. 3000-3200 flash. moves under light throttle cuts 1.8's n/a. its about a year old with about 3500 miles. I need more stall.

Quick Reply: My time for Circle D, Give me some insight.