Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

My time for Circle D, Give me some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 3C and am very happy with it. it does around 32-3300ish behind my motor
Old 04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
The 245mm doesn't necessarily generate more heat based on size alone, its because they are normally a higher stall speed. The larger diameter converters are "as a rule" moe effiecent (both heat and power wise) because the fins are larger and have more surface area than a smaller diameter converter. If you have a 3200 245mm, and a 3200 258mm they will act very differently and transfer power to the wheels and make heat very differently.

As far as longevity goes, the 258mm or larger will last longer in a single disk configuration purely because of clutch surface area. Bigger cover = bigger clutch = more holding capacity = less slip = longer clutch life. Same basic theory applies to a multi disk setup as well but because of power handling capacity associated with the lockup side of a multi disk converter, its never really too much of an issue (that I've ever seen)

Anyway... Only Chris could really tell you why and how but there's my somewhat halfass educated guess
I actually thought bout this as I read it, & it's common sense really. I just didn't give it enuff thought the 1st time round.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I like the 258 for the better street manners, and it will run cooler also, although the big trucool seems to handle everyone's trans temp concerns.

Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but since a higher stalled converter soften up the shifts a bit...I wonder if the size of the converter have any effect? Like a smaller converter with the same stall rating as a bigger one softens it up more?
...I decided to re-stall my triple disc a little higher, and since I hadn't run it yet, and wasn't in any major rush, he's re-stalling it for me for free I just had to pay shipping...that's pretty awesome if you ask me
I wanna talk to ya on this.

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
Just spoke with Chris, For my goals and how I drive the truck the 3B 258mm will be a nice match for me. He said it should be around a 3500-3600 with my set up.

I will keep everyone updated of course
Very cool Derek.