Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

is my tranny gone !?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:42 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
NO TO ***** YOUR thread bro but i dont have 1st gear i can take off in second just fine reverse is there also.... i can rev it up in drive and it will finally go and catch...
Sounds like the input sprag in your trans is busted. See pics from an old thread I posted last year... No first gear, but will move in 2nd gear +, and reverse. If they pull the sprag assembly, just remember, a wise trans builder once told me that the sprag assembly spins in ONE DIRECTION. If it slips the SLIGHTEST bit, take it apart and replace the sprag. OR.... go to FLT's website, and buy the BW unit. It's made for greater performance. Tell Vince & Chuck that Ron sent ya!

Originally Posted by GTOsRamairSilverado
well today is the first time i look under my truck since i towed it home and there is tranny fluid all over the floor!!! i looked for a leak with the truck on but it wasnt squirting out anything. the only think that i found was a wet spot where the driveshaft goes into the tranny. could this still be a possible pump problem and if so about how much does the pump cost, and how hard is the install.
Hmm... if the tailhousing seal is busted then I guess fluid could have spew'd from the rear. Incorrect fluid could = no trans movement in any gear. Drop the pan and see if the filter's where it should be. If so, then lets go back to what you said about the trans having the correct level. Not questioning your intelligence, but did you check level with engine running?

Last edited by 95ImpSS; 01-11-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1BADC10
Hmm... if the tailhousing seal is busted then I guess fluid could have spew'd from the rear. Incorrect fluid could = no trans movement in any gear. Drop the pan and see if the filter's where it should be. If so, then lets go back to what you said about the trans having the correct level. Not questioning your intelligence, but did you check level with engine running?
well, when i towed it home, i turned the truck on and checked the fluid level (with the truck on). i have not checked it since, but i know its low cus there is alot of fluid on the floor.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ur trans is toast. My 97 wouldnt go in any gears at all, even reverse. U need to get it rebuilt or a new one sorry homes.
I got a strong suspicion my trans is about 2 kick me in the sack.. and I dont even have all my cam parts squared away.. and this will be 3 in the past yr hah
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks 1BADC10, yeah when idling i can shift to second and it will roll i shift to 1 first and it feels like i put it in park sometimes it will clunk a little bit but then stop with a small jerk in drive it wont move at all without upping the rev... taking off from second it will shift ok to 3rd, anyway it was dropped off at the shop ....

GOTRS hope ya get your problem solved bro....
Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
ur trans is toast. My 97 wouldnt go in any gears at all, even reverse. U need to get it rebuilt or a new one sorry homes.
I got a strong suspicion my trans is about 2 kick me in the sack.. and I dont even have all my cam parts squared away.. and this will be 3 in the past yr hah
ouch !! the 3rd one in a year !!!! that suck !!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree that the most likely cause is pump failure.
On the leaking you mentioned, was it towed home with the rear wheels on the ground? The tailshaft bushing and seals gets lubrication from the front pump. Towing it with the rear wheel on the ground can overheat and burn the tailshaft bushing and everything else inside. The seal likely failed from the heat. Hopefully it wasn't towed that way and the planetaries aren't screwed up from it.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:43 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Originally Posted by James B.
On the leaking you mentioned, was it towed home with the rear wheels on the ground? The tailshaft bushing and seals gets lubrication from the front pump. Towing it with the rear wheel on the ground can overheat and burn the tailshaft bushing and everything else inside. The seal likely failed from the heat. Hopefully it wasn't towed that way and the planetaries aren't screwed up from it.
Hence why most recommendations are to tow with rear off the ground. Then again... I've been tow-strapped a good ways from home a couple of times, and have never had that happen. Luck of the draw, I guess.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by James B.
i did tow it with the rear wheels on the ground for about 1 mile......... i didnt relize that i could f@*! it up more by towing it that way.....