Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need help with 1999 Silverado rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by DAH32
I agree.

It does currently hit the frame when towing and hit any kind of significant bump. It appears to flatten the springs out pretty good when loaded with say a mower on the trailer or my chevelle.

Would moving the springs to underneath the axle be wiser?
If you move the springs under the axle you will be putting the axle closer to the frame.

I think your set up is fine you just need to to get everything straightened out.

Maybe a different kit would work better for you. I just don't know that much about lowering kits to recommend one.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
If you move the springs under the axle you will be putting the axle closer to the frame.

I think your set up is fine you just need to to get everything straightened out.

Maybe a different kit would work better for you. I just don't know that much about lowering kits to recommend one.
I see.

My kit is wrong to begin with.

I will be going to another kit as soon as possible and getting a C notch put in.

Any C notches have more room than other?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by DAH32
I see.

My kit is wrong to begin with.

I will be going to another kit as soon as possible and getting a C notch put in.

Any C notches have more room than other?
I am not Sure but that is an excellent question!!! I may have to do some research on that.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I am not Sure but that is an excellent question!!! I may have to do some research on that.
Seems like I read it somewhere, but Im not sure....I think it was DJM, but most give it a thumbs down.....
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJM has been known to fail and cause the frame to buckle. I don't think any bolt in notch is any different in regards to "room". Unless I missed something.

I can tell you at 4" with a flip kit I bottom out a bit, but you cracking the frame scares me. Makes me want to check on mine. I think the cracking has more to do with the towing and lack of suspension travel with the flat springs and hitting frame.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by texasglock23
DJM has been known to fail and cause the frame to buckle. I don't think any bolt in notch is any different in regards to "room". Unless I missed something.

I can tell you at 4" with a flip kit I bottom out a bit, but you cracking the frame scares me. Makes me want to check on mine. I think the cracking has more to do with the towing and lack of suspension travel with the flat springs and hitting frame.
I think I will be getting a custom notch...talked a race car fab guy today and he told me he can do a custom cut and weld deal.

It is something to keep a eye on...it appears the newer trucks...after 99..the new body style...the frames are flat and the reason of the notch...makes lowering them rougher...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frames are flat? What the hell does that mean?
Anyways having a cracked frame back there? Man I would think you would have to bottom out Really Bad in order for that to happen, the frame is pretty thick metal.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteChevy3
Frames are flat? What the hell does that mean?
Anyways having a cracked frame back there? Man I would think you would have to bottom out Really Bad in order for that to happen, the frame is pretty thick metal.
Nice pic in your profile!

LOL.

What I meant was that does not curve up and over the rearend.

Yeah its thick....Im not sure how all the cracking took place...over a period of time.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well

Been searching for over several days and I cant find alot of the information I need.

It seems that the Belltech andMcGaughys C notch have the best reviews.

I did find a custom c notch at kmwperformance.com which can be custom made.

Im not interested in a larger drop than 4" with hangers and shackles that I have from Belltech.

The c notches are not really designed for a 4" drop, but ones for more and when using a flip kit with the springs under the axle.

I dont want to use a flip kit either.

Why?

I tow some with my truck....it hauls my chevelle to the drags.

That is about all the hauling I do, but its about 4500 pounds Im pulling.

That is why I need to use helper bags...to bring the back end up.

The problem Im having is if I install the c notch. That will put the frame out toward the tire about a 1/4" and most air bag brackets will bolt to that and this throws out the bracket another 1/4" because of the c notch plate....and I cant find anyone who has a 4" drop, c notch, and helper bags to pic there mind...

It may appear that some air bag set ups have a in and out adjustment on them.

Anyone want to chime in??

Last edited by DAH32; 09-29-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have access to a welder why not the super notch? to me it looks a lot stronger then the McGaughy's notch

AVS :: Air Suspension :: Notches & Bridge Kits :: NOTCHES :: Super C Notch 88-98 and 99-04 GM full size- mount under floor no cutting

Quick Reply: Need help with 1999 Silverado rear suspension