Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!

I test drove a 2000 Sierra 1500 4x4. It was good and all, looked brand new almost. Then I engaged the 4x4, when ever i tried to turn it would lock up the brakes, or at least that's what it felt like. It had 103K miles on it so I dont know if that had something to do with this. There were no service 4x4 lights or anything, has anyone ever heard of a truck doing this before? What could it be, because I can get a killer deal on the truck.
Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-10-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default your truck

Some of that you are feeling is normal. It will be hard to turn if 4X4 is engaged, that lets you know the front wheels are pulling!!
Old 12-10-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

What you are feeling is normal in 4x4. The front tires are going a longer distance than the rears when you are in a turn and that is causing them to bind up when you are on dry pavement with good traction. This puts a lot of stress on drive components and is definately not good for them. Only use 4x4 when traction is limited and the wheels can slip a little if need be in tight corners at slow speeds. You can use 4x4 on dry pavement when you are travelling in a straight line or can negotiate any turns at cruising speeds.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help! I'm gonna go try and lose some traction off road in it to see how it performs. Thanks for the help, other wise I might have passed up the deal of a life time, I can get it for about 9 grand.