Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

need help with 4L80e ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help with 4L80e ASAP

ok guys well heres the story, i let my dad take ownership of my old '99 2500 6.0 4wd about a year and a half ago, well about 2 months ago he started havin probs with it, itd jump in and out of overdrive, and then somehow the started mounts broke and caused the started to break the flexplate, well we changed both starter and flexplate, then it started geting hung in 2nd gear, so we took it to my college and when i pulled it i noticed the plugup for the park/nutral/gear indicator w.e u wanna call it box was messed up, well i decided to pull it and rebuild it anyways, and of course this being my 1st 4L80 build i had no clue, so i took my time and went the best i could. my instuctor had no clue about any of it, so we replaced all the clutches, EVERY SENSOR and put it back together, well once it was in the truck it wouldnt crank. i figured it was the park/nutral box. so we bought a new one and new plug ups, well i put it in today and my dad took it upon himself to cut the old plugs off so i had to match up the colors the best i could ( the new plug came with ALL white wires) well i used the old plug as referance, and after a few tries finally got it right , or so i think, it cranks right up, but time i pull it down to drive, it doesnt move, so i give it gas and it takes it to about 2200-2400 rpms before itll even budge, so i knew that wasnt right, pull it to reverse, same thing, so i drive it around the parkin lot and it has NO power and seems to me like its slipping, i keep driving it and then start to smell what i THINK is clutches, so i park it and here i am, im out of school for a week and had to loan my dad my daily and i now i have to drive my sierra till i get his truck running right, PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! is it my gear band? my clutches? did maybe a ball get misplaced in the valve body? did i wire the harness plug ups wrong??? or could it be my torque converter?? no service engine light is on and i cant drive it to oreillys to have it checked. sorry for the long story but thats the best way i know how to tell everyone whats going on so maybe i can get help!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM
The House is Rockin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
i have no idea, did you try givin doc a call? he's usally there on saturdays.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine was stuck in second and it was throwing a code for each solenoid... found a wiring problem and was good to go... as far as the rebuild goes.. how much fluid did you put in it??? mine wouldnt move untill i had enough fluid....
Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also i bought a junk yard 80e for 750....
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all data said 13 and a half from bone dry thats counting the verter, i bought all new everything and the new verter had fluid in it when i opened the box so i was guessing it was full so i added 8 more and it says full when i check it in park??? im stumped, i built my 4L65e thats in my sierra and ive never had one prob out of it i dont know whats going on
Old 03-21-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If the trans was totally dry and with the stock converter, it will take 15 quarts of ATF per the manual. Maybe yours is low? Both my 60 and now the 80 both were well above the full mark on the dipstick and run perfectly. Mine took 12 quarts with the Yank stall.