Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need help with Mcgaughy's drop in rear... *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Mcgaughy's drop in rear... *pics*

I was finishing up Installing the Mcgaughy's 2/3 drop on my Yukon today and ran into some problem on the rear-end. Hopefully somebody with more expierience can help me out, because I have no clue what is wrong.

Basically, the rear springs are too short or something. Everything has been installed correctly. When the vehicle is raised and the rear axle hangs down a little (with no support) the springs are just kind of sitting there on top of the axle with NO tension at all. There is also about a 1.5 - 2in. gap between the top mounting area and the spring itself.

If I were to be driving down the road and the shocks had to extend some, it seems as if the springs would just fall out.

The springs are much shorter than the factory ones (approx. 7in.)

Maybe they sent me the wrong ones :dunno: I don't think it is suppose to be like this, and if it is It really doesn't seem safe.

Here are some pics to give you a better idea.

Notice the gap in between the spring and the top mounting area.

If anybody has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

:help:

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Former Moderator :(

Does those shock brackets let you use the stock length shocks ? and do they make the shocks stand more up and down ? Can you take a better pic of the shock set up. I can't really tell whats wrong with your springs I don't know that kit very well.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Crash Dummy
Does those shock brackets let you use the stock length shocks ? and do they make the shocks stand more up and down ? Can you take a better pic of the shock set up. I can't really tell whats wrong with your springs I don't know that kit very well.
Yeah, It had to of been something with the shocks, because I put the stock ones back in and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Its kind of wierd, because they are both the same length.

I'll just use the stock ones for now I guess.

This had me stumped yesterday though, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it....

Old 09-05-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those shock extender brackets are for the Nivomat (Sachs/Boge) self-contained, load-leveling shocks ONLY. If you have normal shocks, you do not need (and should not use) the shock extenders.

As far as the 'topping out' issue....

As you have discovered, all McGaughys did was chop 2.5 coils off of the stock coil and call it a 3" drop coil (it actually drops you about 3.5", at least they did on my Avalanche). There are a couple of issues with this. First, because they did not increase the spring rate over stock (both the McGaughys and the stock springs are 225 lbs), you are in a much greater danger of bottoming out than you would be if you had the stock coil in there, or a drop spring with an increased spring rate.

The second issue is what you have already discovered - if you happen to 'top out' with your suspension, that is, if one of your rear wheels fully extends for whatever reason - your coil will fall out. Not cool, IMO. Belltech does they exact same thing (they keep the same spring rate as stock and chop off coils), but at least they have the courtesy to supply a canvas 'limiting strap' that you attach to the coil and the frame, so if you top out, you don't lose the coil. Still, to me, this is a kludge.

I like the McGaughys spindle, but decided that both McGaughys and Belltech at best were offering an inferior drop coil solution, and at worst were endangering people. So I did get the McGaughys spindles, but purchased Eibach springs for the back.

The Eiback spring is a dual-rate spring, with 5-6 coils at 125 lbs, and 3-4 coils at 337 lbs. With no load, they extend to the exact same length as the stock springs, which means you can't top out and lose a coil. Under load of the vehicle, the first set of coils (125 lbs) immediately compress and sit on top of each other, and then you are left sitting on the 337 lb coils. The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but handling is also much, much better, and you are not in danger of bottoming out like you are with the McGaughys and Belltech parts.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Those shock extender brackets are for the Nivomat (Sachs/Boge) self-contained, load-leveling shocks ONLY. If you have normal shocks, you do not need (and should not use) the shock extenders.

As far as the 'topping out' issue....

As you have discovered, all McGaughys did was chop 2.5 coils off of the stock coil and call it a 3" drop coil (it actually drops you about 3.5", at least they did on my Avalanche). There are a couple of issues with this. First, because they did not increase the spring rate over stock (both the McGaughys and the stock springs are 225 lbs), you are in a much greater danger of bottoming out than you would be if you had the stock coil in there, or a drop spring with an increased spring rate.

The second issue is what you have already discovered - if you happen to 'top out' with your suspension, that is, if one of your rear wheels fully extends for whatever reason - your coil will fall out. Not cool, IMO. Belltech does they exact same thing (they keep the same spring rate as stock and chop off coils), but at least they have the courtesy to supply a canvas 'limiting strap' that you attach to the coil and the frame, so if you top out, you don't lose the coil. Still, to me, this is a kludge.

I like the McGaughys spindle, but decided that both McGaughys and Belltech at best were offering an inferior drop coil solution, and at worst were endangering people. So I did get the McGaughys spindles, but purchased Eibach springs for the back.

The Eiback spring is a dual-rate spring, with 5-6 coils at 125 lbs, and 3-4 coils at 337 lbs. With no load, they extend to the exact same length as the stock springs, which means you can't top out and lose a coil. Under load of the vehicle, the first set of coils (125 lbs) immediately compress and sit on top of each other, and then you are left sitting on the 337 lb coils. The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but handling is also much, much better, and you are not in danger of bottoming out like you are with the McGaughys and Belltech parts.

Thanks for the info bro ! That helps out alot.

Maybe you can help me out with this... I installed the new springs, stock shocks with the extenders, and put everything back together.

When I lowered down the vehicle off the jack it looked OK, but as soon as I starterd it up the Air started to fill up the shocks and raised the rear about 2-3 inches, thus making a very minimal drop. (Definatley not 3in)

What is causing this, and how can I get it to not raise up like that?? Should I disconnect both the air hose and sensor from the shock or what??

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

So you have GM's Air Ride suspension, I take it, with the on-board compressor?

You have to bend the actuators...there should be a diagram in the box with the drop kit, a paper template outlining exactly how to bend the actuators so the Air Ride doesn't do exactly what it is doing now - fight the drop for the correct ride height. If you can't find this diagram, you may have to wait until tomorrow to call McGaughys and have them fax it to you.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Naked AV
So you have GM's Air Ride suspension, I take it, with the on-board compressor?

You have to bend the actuators...there should be a diagram in the box with the drop kit, a paper template outlining exactly how to bend the actuators so the Air Ride doesn't do exactly what it is doing now - fight the drop for the correct ride height. If you can't find this diagram, you may have to wait until tomorrow to call McGaughys and have them fax it to you.

I don't believe I have this diagram, I will double check my stuff though.

I appreciate the input on the springs and everything. I think I will end up changing the springs, because I don't think this is a very safe way to drop the rear. Are you still able to run Stock shocks with the Eibachs?? Or do you need something different? I'd assume it would be the same as the McGaughy's springs.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

I am using the Sachs/Boge load-leveling shocks that came stock on my Z66 Avalanche, and I am using the shock extenders. Eibach doesn't not endorse this setup, but I do.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by Crash Dummy
Does those shock brackets let you use the stock length shocks ? and do they make the shocks stand more up and down ? ..snip
With a 4" drop they will allow the use of stock shocks and will stand the shock more upright. I think they should get you back to the angle of the shocks at the stock height.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Former Moderator :(

So the brackets are stock GM parts? I would really like to get the rear shocks in a more upright position and get a better ride doing so.

Quick Reply: Need help with Mcgaughy's drop in rear... *pics*