Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need help. Service 4x4 2000 tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. Service 4x4 2000 tahoe

out of nowhere my service 4x4 light comes on, no lights light up on the switch pannel. When you start it they all flash, then go completely out. havent used it since spring. tried swapping out the switch, but it did nothing..went and got it scanned today and it said something like motor control a/b circuit. So i went and got a new encoder motor for the tcase and put that in tonight and still the same thing..

i checked every connection to the t case, every fuse in the underhood and in the cabin etc..im stumped and I already have $200 into the damn t case motor. anyone else have any ideas?

thanks a bunch
Old 11-05-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

TCCM, sounds like the Transfer Case Control Module has gone out. You have swapped out the common least expensive items. About the only thing left that could cause that is the TCCM going out. They aren't cheap so hopefully someone else has a better idea.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

The encoder motor, did you just replace the motor portion or the entire assembly? I reread your OP and it made me think, the encoder motor sensor will cause the same issue but it is part of the whole shift assembly.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that when it got real cold here overnight last year (-25 and below) It always came back though...
Old 11-06-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigredmariner
The encoder motor, did you just replace the motor portion or the entire assembly? I reread your OP and it made me think, the encoder motor sensor will cause the same issue but it is part of the whole shift assembly.
i replaced the entire assembly...didnt change a thing..i know there is power to the switch since the lights all flash,..

from what ive heard about the TCCM you have to get it reprogrammed with your vin and stuff since it uses information from the truck for auto 4x4 n ****..i found some for $50 online, so well will have to see..is it located on the drivers side of the dash?
Old 11-06-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

That's what I've read too. I haven't had to do it myself so I can't point you in the right direction of the TCCM though. All of the other stuff I have had to fool with over the years, sorry.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got the module out...im gonna swap it with a buddies here in a bit just to see if i can get the damn lights to turn on..if so, ill just order a module from ebay for 50 bucks and go get it programmed...i wouldnt give a **** but with winter coming soon i dont wanna get stuck somewhere
Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup it was the module..my buddies worked fine..i decided to keep the new t case motor just so i dont have to **** with it down the road..ordered my new tccm off ebay for 50 bucks..ill get it reprogrammed if i need to
Old 11-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part number are you looking at on the module. On my moms it said 15154323 was revised to 12577412 which didn't need programmed.
However when I swapped it the code changed and I dunno if it's something else or if they really do need reprogrammed regardless of revised or not.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by viciousknid
What part number are you looking at on the module. On my moms it said 15154323 was revised to 12577412 which didn't need programmed.
However when I swapped it the code changed and I dunno if it's something else or if they really do need reprogrammed regardless of revised or not.
ill have to double check, but i put my buddies in and drove around and it did just fine, so maybe ill luck out and wont have to do anything

Quick Reply: Need help. Service 4x4 2000 tahoe