Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

need help with tires and lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

j's01silverado: Thanks for the pics man!! It looks sweet!! I do have a couple more questions though if you dont mind...

How wide are your rims? Mine are 22x9 centerlines and im wondering what would be the best size tire for them with a 2/4 because i think the 265/40/22's will be a little short.

Did you notch your frame?

What shocks did you use with the kit?

Im also trying to decide which kit to use. Im looking at the mcgaughys 2/4 kit with the 17+ spindles or the DJM kit that you have. I will need to get a good set of shocks with helper bags or air shocks so i can haul my dirtbike and the little trailer i have on occasion.

I appreciate your help so far man!!! Your truck is bad ***!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:31 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

To answer a few of your questions;

I think Toyo is the only company that makes a 265/40R22. There website indicates that it is 30.3 inches tall which is roughly the same overall diameter as mine at 30.4" I think that is the perfect tire for a 22x9 rim.

My frame is not notched. It could use a notch, but not completely necessary. It will ride better with a notch because it will bottom out less.

I used pro comp 19" and 20" rear shocks. They are cheap and ride pretty nice.

I would recommend the calmax kit. You will be able to run your stock wheels.

To be competely honest, i dont think the helper bags are necessary. I have towed 3 crf450's with no sag without any air in my bags. Your call though.

Good luck, post some pics when you are done.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

The tires i have now are Nitto 555R 265/40/22's. They are almost brand new and they came on the rims when i bought them. They are ZR rated and they are bad *** tires so im glad ill be able to keep em without them looking goofy on there. Next go around, ill probably buy 285/35's though. Roughly the same height but they will be a little wider.

I would like to notch my frame but with it being a brand new truck, i dont want to void my warranty which i was told would happen if i cut my frame. Ill probably just trim my bumpstops down and get a bad *** set of shocks so i wont be bottoming out much. I dont want to cut this truck up until its a little older and paid for so thats why i have decided to use a 2/4 drop instead of a 4/6.

Ill look into the pro comp shocks. Ive been told that the doetch techs are very nice shocks! I may check those out too.

I probably wont need the helper bags but i already have a set in my garage with the bolts and all to have them installed. Ill probably put them on just in the case i may ever need them. I have a guy that would hook them up cheap and im sure it would be better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. lol. I will use a simple setup with them though. Im just going to run lines to tire stems so i can air them up at the gas station. It would be too expensive for me to run an onboard compressor and all that. Expecially for the very few times ill actually have to use them.

I will post some pics when i am done. I actually cleaned my truck and took some pics yesterday and ill be posting them up in about an hour when i get back to my house. Thanks for all your help man!! You truck looks sick! I hope i can get that same stance with mine!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the chrome 20" SS wheels on my truck with Falken 275/45/20 tires and I think it looks great! If you need a tire check out the Falkens, I really like mine.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

COOL i just got my new goodyears 275/45/20 yesterday that are going on my new chrome ss rims and ordered my 2/4 drop also. Boy i`m i in trouble. Hopefully i will be able to put everything on in a week or two. Still waiting on my ss front bumper cover to get here.
j's01silverado thank you for all the info you where a big help. But i still have not been able to find a catless y-pipe and simulators yet? Do you have a link ?
Tan327 do you have any pics ?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:33 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is the link to the Jeg y-pipe;

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...hItemId=348961
Old 01-11-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You Can Also Get The 02 Sims At Thunder Racing.com. ALSO, SOMETHING ELSE TO KEEP IN MIND, MY INSURANCE COMPANY TOLD ME MY TRUCK WOULD BE CONSIDERED TOTALED BECAUSE I "TAMPERED WITH THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF THE FRAME" WHICH IS BULLSH*T CAUSE THE C-NOTCH IS STRONGER THAN THE FRAME. JUST SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND.