Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need help upgrading brakes. 1999 RCSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help upgrading brakes. 1999 RCSB

Im replacing all of the brake lines on my rcsb right now and i figure i may as well do the calipers, rotors and pads while im at it. What are some choices for upgrades out there? Ive heard you can do the 05+ calipers for an upgrade, but i need them to fit under 16" wheels. Im just looking for some better than stock rotors and pads, nothing super expensive. Ive heard good things about the EBC pads as well.

Also I need to get some stainless braided lines to go from the frame to the calipers. Where is the best place to order these? Summit?

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe something like this?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pw...el/sierra-1500
Old 05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

I've had really good luck with R1Concepts rotors, and replace the rubber flex line with braided stainless lines. If you want to do the best change, do a hydroboost conversion.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran EBC dimpled rotors for a few years with their 9000 series green SUV pads. SS lines. then did hydroboost brakes..

They hydro boost made the biggest difference!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where do you get the stainless lines? i couldnt find anything vehicle specific for stock brakes..I plan on running EBC Greenstuff after doing some reading, just gotta figure out the rotors...hydraboost is on the radar for the future. sure was a pain in the *** getting the new brake lines in. gotta pull the box to do the rear one and then ill be almost there
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nickleahy23
where do you get the stainless lines? i couldnt find anything vehicle specific for stock brakes..I plan on running EBC Greenstuff after doing some reading, just gotta figure out the rotors...hydraboost is on the radar for the future. sure was a pain in the *** getting the new brake lines in. gotta pull the box to do the rear one and then ill be almost there
The only ones I've found, but never checked beyond finding the links are:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ru...el/sierra-1500
Goodridge Gstop Stainless Steel Brake Line Kits | STILLEN
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Russel lines, they fit pretty well. You can do slotted/drilled rotors and a good pad. Honestly you can probably find some decent rotors on eBay for cheap. You can also upgrade the rear calipers to SUV dual calipers. But the biggest improvement would be from hydroboost though.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Drilled rotors can heat up and crack. I run powerslot on my truck and I am happy. I would like to do a hydro boost upgrade.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya i have been looking at some rotors on ebay..found some decent ones for a fair price..

Im going to be using a 14 bolt in the rear, so i need to figure out how to swap discs on to there, or just run the drums and have a solid front set up with hydroboost. I plan on running 20" stockers so i should have decent braking, compared to my heavy *** tahoe on 24s anyway lol
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone have advice on bleeding the brakes? I replaced all of the lines on the truck so i know its gonna be a hassle, especially with the ABS. Gotta do new calipers in front because the bleeders are siezed and they are original..hopefully the rears are better, but worst case i can bleed it at the line connection to the rear end and get it good until i swap rear ends.

Quick Reply: Need help upgrading brakes. 1999 RCSB