Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

need help wiyh tranny and rear end

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help wiyh tranny and rear end

well i think we have decided on the motor for my 1500 silverado. Here is a list of what LME is going to do for us. My only question is what trans. and rearend will hold up to this power. After the motor is in we are getting a sts turbo with the GT70 turbo, meth injections and all the goodies.

The list.

408 Iron LS1 408" Iron Balanced, blue printed and assembled short block.
Callies 4.0" crankshaft, Lunati 6.125" pro billet rods, Wiseco
4.030" custom forged pistons w/ lateral gas ports, Federal Mogal
152M main brgs, Clevite cb663 H rod brgs, Dura Bond cam brgs,
ARP main studs

ETPG3 cyl. heads ET Cylinder Heads ETPG3 heads.
350+ CFM int. 240CFM exh. @ .700 lift. Parts: Ferrea 2.08"
1.600" exh. valves, Comp. Triple springs, Xceldyne super 7
titanium retainers, machined locators and viton valve seals.

LS1 solid lifters Lunati solid roller lifters

Solid roller cam LSM Custom Solid roller camshaft

CV 3/8 push rods CV Products 3/8 pushrods

Timing chain Roll master timing chain nitrited gears and torr. bearing

LS1 Oil Pump LS1 ported Oil Pump

Jesels LS1 Jesel Pro series adjustible Rockers (LS1)

Install splayed caps Install all 5 billet main caps/ Line bore and hone

LS1/LS2 billet caps LS1/ LS2 Billet Main Caps

LS1 studs 1/2 inch ARP 1/2 LS1 head studs

LS1 copper gaskets SCE ICS Titan copper head gaskets

LS1 1/2 studs Machine block and heads for 1/2 studs

Oil pan LME Sheetmetal LME oil pan

LME custom oiling LME custom oiling

Remote oil filter Remote oil filter housing, oil pressure regulator, filters, fittings.

LS1 pick up tube LS1 custom pick up tube for sheet metal pan

Att. is a pick of the truck we are doing the work on. Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails need help wiyh tranny and rear end-copy-truck-1.jpg  
Old 09-20-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

You will have to go with a built 4L80E or 4l85E. As for the axle I would put gears it untill you break an axle, after that you will have to consider buying a Fab 9 or other heavy duty rear axle. One consideration it to replace the front IFS axle with a Dana 60 from a Ford SuperDuty. I mention Ford Superduty because the calipers on them are massive just like the Chevrolet 1 tons, and the straight axle are far supperior in 4x4 than IFS. Another consideration you might want to take in, is the transfer case, you might want to upgrade it, something like the Altas.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, i need something like that they said that the motor will push 700 chp without the turbo and meth. Then who knows how much after, so i need something that is going to hold it. But i am not going to be on the drag strip every weekend , just getting all over it every now and then.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Considering how your truck is lifted, you should definitely think about swapping the rear end out for something like a 9.5" 14 bolt SF. If you do, make sure its from a 4wd truck, as the ones off 2wd's aren't wide enough. (88-98 GM's) You can do a disc brake conversion on them and you should be fine.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00Silverado
Considering how your truck is lifted, you should definitely think about swapping the rear end out for something like a 9.5" 14 bolt SF. If you do, make sure its from a 4wd truck, as the ones off 2wd's aren't wide enough. (88-98 GM's) You can do a disc brake conversion on them and you should be fine.
It sounds like you have the 10.5" 14 bolt rear ends mixed up with the 9.5, I could be wrong. There are 2 different 10.5", one for the single wheel and the other for dual wheel trucks (a little wider). I have seen the disc brake conversion, and I think they are crap, they use rear disc brake calipers off 70's cadillac cars, really small single piston calibers as seen here.

Another option for axles are some 2 1/2 ton Rockwells.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for all the help, i think all of us agree that the 4l85E trans will work with this, right? As for the rear i am still talking to a few people, so if you know anyone that has a truck that is pushing this much hp please talk to them and let me know what rear end they have, i just want to put the right stuff in first instead of breaking alot of sh#t before i find the right part.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the difference between the 4l80E and the 4l85E? Or better .... is one much better than the other in a 2 wd lowered truck with about 500 rwhp? (Don't mean to hijack the thread!)
Old 09-21-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cbrich
It sounds like you have the 10.5" 14 bolt rear ends mixed up with the 9.5, I could be wrong. There are 2 different 10.5", one for the single wheel and the other for dual wheel trucks (a little wider). I have seen the disc brake conversion, and I think they are crap, they use rear disc brake calipers off 70's cadillac cars, really small single piston calibers as seen here.

Another option for axles are some 2 1/2 ton Rockwells.
Nope, dont have them confused. The WMS to WMS on the 2wd version of the 9.5 in the OBS trucks is about 5 inches less than the WMS to WMS measurement of one out of a 4wd truck. A friend of mine fabbed some brackets which allowed the use of a different caliper, unfortunately he isn't making the pieces currently, but I do believe Full Throttle, (Suspension lift company) sells some that are similar. The 9.5" out of the NBS is as wanted as one from an OBS due to the 8 lug, but I guess if you get lucky and find an 05 SS that is wrecked it should all bolt up.
Edit - The Rockwells comment