Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need some help,whats this noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help,whats this noise

What's wrong - YouTube

i know its something in the drivetrain, just looking for some insight on what this noise may be. sounds pretty bad lol
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 AM

I would start with inspecting the flex plate to see if its broken or cracked. Its possible that the noise is coming from the pump or the converter as well. What I would do if the flex plate looks ok is unbolt the converter and push it back into the trans. Then start the engine to see if the noise has gone away. This way you can isolate if the noise is coming from the engine or the trans. HTH Vince
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vince B
I would start with inspecting the flex plate to see if its broken or cracked. Its possible that the noise is coming from the pump or the converter as well. What I would do if the flex plate looks ok is unbolt the converter and push it back into the trans. Then start the engine to see if the noise has gone away. This way you can isolate if the noise is coming from the engine or the trans. HTH Vince
Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I should have also said that this noise only happens when I put it in gear ans when I put it back in park it stops.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very typical of a cracked or broken flexplate. I would encourage you to get it fixed soon as a broken flexplate can take out a transmission pump in no time! And usually when that happens the torque converter hub is damaged as well.

Save yourself some grief and geterdun!

g
Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I couldn't drive it if I wanted to. Truck wont move. When its in gear it will just rev up and make that noise
Old 11-09-2011, 05:58 PM

With no movement I think you have more issues than a flex plate. I did not know your vehicle did not move. If the flex plate was totally broke I can not see how it would even start much less drive the converter if you can see where I'm going with this. You either have a severely blown up converter, diff issue or a transfer case that is destroyed. I would stop running this thing and probably start dropping the pans/plugs on this thing to inspect the oil. One of the three has to show signs of a major failure.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could I maybe take the t-case off and see if the noise stops. Would it hurt to run the vehicle with no tcase
Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 PM

No not really but I think dropping the oil might be easier. Lets say its a diff and you go through all that trouble for nothing. I would drain the transfer case and also drop the pan on the trans to see whats going on first. From there you should be able to figure out which direction to go. Make sense?

Quick Reply: Need some help,whats this noise