Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need some ideas... Broken Ball joint!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some ideas... Broken Ball joint!

Hey yall, i just got my truck lifted 1 week ago with a 6" superlift kit. It was professionally installed, and all wear parts in the front end were replaced, like pitman, idler, idler bracket, idler support, ball joints and tie rod ends. All moog heavy duty parts were used. I chose 20 X 10 KMC diesels with 35 x 12.5 x 20 mud grapplers. Because the wheels were too wide (they didnt tell me i would have an issue when i told them what i wanted) we had to add torsion keys and crank them all the way, to avoid rubbing on the bumper in full lock with some compression. It looked great and rode a little stiff, but i had no complaints. Last night i was over a friends house replacing the fuel pressure regualtor, and once done, as i was backing out the front ball joint broke! heres a couple pics:

So they towed it in today, and the ball joint was broken clean off, right above the threads. It looks to me like there may have been an issue with the metal that the part was made out of, cause the middle of the shaft looked to be a different color and texture metal.
So now i am paranoid! I was 1 mile away from getting on the highway and going 70 on the way home! Is this probably a fluke deal with a bad part? Am i asking for trouble with too much lift? I dont want to swap wheels, so i think what i have come up with is to take out the torsion keys, and put the stock ones back in, and add a body lift (which i hate the look of). I searched on here and GMFS and only found one other truck that this happened on. Give me some ideas please!

Last edited by up2nuthingud; 03-05-2008 at 07:07 PM.