Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Never buy anything tci makes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Never buy anything tci makes

Last weekend I bought a TCI shift kit well that was a misake!
pulled the truck out of the shop heard a whinning noise in 1st and 3rd gear it had fluided in it! well yesturday on my way to work I lost 1st gear, 3rd sounded like a rod was about to blow. So worked alittle bit couldnt think about anymore so drove home by then every gear was making a noise. pulled in garage and reverse doesnt work a loud BOOM came from it! So pulled pan out this am and it had chucks off metal and chips in the pan! fluid was black. So what cost $80 is going to cost $1200. In this next rebuild what shout I go with guy?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

more than likely not an issue with the shift kit itself...
Old 04-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phantom
more than likely not an issue with the shift kit itself...
unfortunately I agree.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Then what would it be?? i put the boost spring in that came with the kit. I see that transgo comes with a bigger boost valve in there kits. But TCI never said anything about a bigger boost valve.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Teching In

not sure what caused it but a good replacement would be the 4l80e..just ebay them and the ones made by Mad Dog seem to be pretty stout..
Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had bad luck with TCI a few years ago, bought a servo kit from them and the servo was machined wrong and would not fit. they where not very helpfull sending me a new one either. hope you get this worked out.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TCI is junk. stay far away.

3 good kits are , shift technologies, TransGo, Ratio Tek .

Sorry bout your luck man.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned

transgo- is the way 2 go......
Old 04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even tho I would have to almost agree with the title of this thread, I think maybe something went wrong on the install of the shift kit. Or was ready to let loose when the kit was installed. Normally when you hear a wine like you had I would have to think that their was an issue with the pump or the trans had a bad bearing.

When you installed the kit how was the condition of the pan? Where there any debris in the bottom? Did you change the filter?

Another thing that I was thinking about is did you install the three 8mm headed bolts in the correct locations? Below is a picture of where they should be located. I circled them. Vince

Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Even tho I would have to almost agree with the title of this thread, I think maybe something went wrong on the install of the shift kit. Or was ready to let loose when the kit was installed. Normally when you hear a wine like you had I would have to think that their was an issue with the pump or the trans had a bad bearing.

When you installed the kit how was the condition of the pan? Where there any debris in the bottom? Did you change the filter?

Another thing that I was thinking about is did you install the three 8mm headed bolts in the correct locations? Below is a picture of where they should be located. I circled them. Vince

I agree on it could be the bolts.

Quick Reply: Never buy anything tci makes