Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new brakes

OK so i need new brakes on my silverado and was wondering if u guys had any recommendations on what pads to use. I have the hawk HPS on the front and rear right now. I liked them but would like something different. I was looking at getting the EBC Yellowstuff 400 series but my bro said they are really soft and wont last more than 20k miles. I do want a soft pad though because there are a **** load of hills where i live and lots of stupid soccer moms in escalades that just LOVE to cut u off and slam on their brakes when they pull up to stop lights. I was told that the Greenstuff are the best pads for trucks. Any input? basically i wanna know if the yellowstuff or greenstuff were better pads for a truck with 35's
Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're happy with the Hawk pads, I'd stick with them. When I was at Texas A&M, the TAMSCC (university sponsered car club) I was in recommended the Hawk pads almost without fail to most folks, be it street or track. They flat out work and are what I'm going with when I do a brake job on the truck.

In the motorcycle world, EBC brake pads suck donkey *****. They chew up rotors and warp the backing plates really easily too.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i really like the porterfield pads. its the go-to for H1s. a hummer mechanic friend of mine told me about them...so i got a set. quiet, clean and work well. i had some hawks at one point...nothing but noise and dust.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not saying you got the wrong set of Hawks, but they do offer different ones for different applications. But you are right in that I hear they dust more than others.

I've also heard good things about the Porterfields, I just forgot to mention them.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'm running Praise Dyno cryogenically treated pads and slotted rotors front and rear and I"ve been very happy with them. Stopping is improved over stock, there's no noise, and the amount of dust is liveable. They do dust more than the original factory ceramics, but not as much as a Hawk pad. I've heard that the Hawk HP pads work really well, but dust like hell and often are very noisy. As for the EBC's, I'm looking for info on them myself. There's a guy at work who loves their Greenstuff pads, but he's running them on Toyotas, (his 4cyl pickup and his wife's car) not high performance full size trucks.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i forgot to mention that....i had my pads and SSBC 14" rotors cryo treated.

on another note...when i built my 80e....had all the hard parts (minus the case) cryo treated. so far so good....
Old 02-10-2010, 12:05 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, I'm sold on cryo treating, the theory works for me
Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

and its cheap...the physics makes sense, too

but back to pads.....porterfield or duralast IMO
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

What if you're running stock rotors? I've read on here that many-a-folk recommend sticking with factory pads. I inject here, as I'm about to rework the front brakes here shortly. Was just going to go with factory unless someone can give me a better VALID suggestion.

When I did a complete job on my '04, I ran the NAPA "Adaptive One" (ceramic) pads on all four corners. Have to say that they were super quiet and did their job nicely, but ran about $90 for front or rear...same as OEM ceramics.

That is all...lol
Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AV8R27
What if you're running stock rotors? I've read on here that many-a-folk recommend sticking with factory pads. I inject here, as I'm about to rework the front brakes here shortly. Was just going to go with factory unless someone can give me a better VALID suggestion.

When I did a complete job on my '04, I ran the NAPA "Adaptive One" (ceramic) pads on all four corners. Have to say that they were super quiet and did their job nicely, but ran about $90 for front or rear...same as OEM ceramics.

That is all...lol
I was told by a long time friend who works at Advanced Auto that the OEM pads are ceramics made by Wagner. That if you put them side by side you cant tell the difference. Take it FWIW, thats just what I was told. my pads are still originals.

Quick Reply: new brakes