Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am a fan of cryo treating. I think the rotors last much longer when treated. I'm about to put on the SSBC 14" (frozen) rotors up front with Frozen Rotor slotted in back treated and Hawk Super Duty pads all around. Hoping for an improvement in braking with more dust which I can live with. I tried to order the EBC Green Stuff but they were backordered for 60+days according to the factory.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like OEM pads
Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I run wagner thermoquiets and they're noisy and dust a lot, but they've got a lifetime warranty so I can't complain too much.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In general ceramic pads will dust the least but provide ok braking. Semi-metallic will dust more but stop much better. Metallic brake pads will stop the best but also produce a lot more brake dust and be harder on rotors. With 35" tires you have a lot of un-sprung weight and need more agressive stopping power. Hawk Super Duty are excellent pads for stopping but they will dust. The trailer package brake pads will dust the most but stop the best.

I don't know about trucks but the Cryo brake rotors were popular years ago in racing (T1/TCC Corvettes) but we found they did not last any longer than stock rotors. Today we run the cheapest NAPA rotors and consider them as disposable.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
In general ceramic pads will dust the least but provide ok braking. Semi-metallic will dust more but stop much better. Metallic brake pads will stop the best but also produce a lot more brake dust and be harder on rotors. With 35" tires you have a lot of un-sprung weight and need more agressive stopping power. Hawk Super Duty are excellent pads for stopping but they will dust. The trailer package brake pads will dust the most but stop the best.

I don't know about trucks but the Cryo brake rotors were popular years ago in racing (T1/TCC Corvettes) but we found they did not last any longer than stock rotors. Today we run the cheapest NAPA rotors and consider them as disposable.
Yea, it's a trade off, performance pads = improved stopping with more dust and possibly noise, stock pads = stock stopping characteristics with less dust and less noise.

I've heard that GM changes brake pad suppliers from time to time as the current supplier's contract ends and then GM goes to the lowest bidder...so the pads could be raybestos, wagner,...whoever. Not sure if this is true, but it sounds believable
Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

well i could give a flying f**k about dust. I have a black rims anyways. I just want the damn thing to stop good. When u have 35's on ur truck, especially here in laguna beach where there are LOTS of hills, its imperative. soo.....hawks?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ridered4life
well i could give a flying f**k about dust. I have a black rims anyways.
you will be saying that sentence in a diff way after the 4thor5th time your cleaning your front wheels off. my last truck i had solid black powdercoated wheels with hawk pads, and omfg they were a pain in the ***, always having to clean them off. You would think "i wont care with black" but when your rolling around in all black and your front wheels&tires look brown compared to the back ones it just looks ****** retarded..
I thought the stock ones were bad with dust, but nope hawk were the worst ive ever seen and had besides straight up race brakes.. just my 2cents
Old 02-12-2010, 03:19 AM
On The Tree

Anyone have experience with Hawks' "HPS" series pads? (High Performance Street) Was looking into their performance ceramics, but if these provide more stopping power and are equally reliable...I may pick up a set. I don't have the power yet to justify the Super Duty pads.

Input...please?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have said it before. every hawk pad i have used just made dust. i would run ebc/duralast/oem/porterfield over any hawk pad.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
i have said it before. every hawk pad i have used just made dust. i would run ebc/duralast/oem/porterfield over any hawk pad.
10-4...

Quick Reply: new brakes