Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Drive Shaft

I'm doing an 80E conversion on a project truck of mine. Its just about done and needed a custom length drive shaft built. I looked online at the big shops to learn a little about the parts needed and educate myself on the process. I have a friend at work who uses a local driveline shop for his 4X4 stuff. I went over there yesterday morning and ordered what I needed. I provided them with the 80E trans yoke, but everything else is new. Total price came out to be $278 after tax, which includes new straps and grade 8 bolts for the rear U joints. Not a bad price IMO.

I ended up with a 3.5" single shaft, with the correct 80E yoke on one end and the correct U joints on the other to mate with the GM 10 bolt rear. I told them it was for a performance application and needed to be balanced for high speeds. It turned out pretty nice, although its probably twice the weight of the stock aluminum shaft. I'll post a couple of pictures later.

I'm going to throw a coat of paint on it this weekend and see if it fits. Hope my measurements were right.

FYI - I took two measurements - one with the truck on the ground and one with it up on a lift with axle hanging by the leaf springs. It was 1/4" longer with the truck on the ground.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what else is 1/4" longer when it's layed on the ground. Hint: My ruler.
You know the sayin, Measure twice, cut once.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking forward to some pictures Richard! Did you go with Spicer U-joints by any chance?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:44 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Yes I believe they are Spicer U-joints. I told the owner what I was wanting the drive shaft for and its intended HP level. He told me Spicer when I asked what series of parts he was going to build it out of. Not sure if he thought that was best, or most compatible with the existing 10-bolt.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a really good price.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Yeah, I was pretty happy with the price too. It came from Automotive Driveline and Supply, in Hurst Tx. It would have probably been another $80 if I didn't have my own transmission yoke. But thats still a good price IMO when compared to some of the big named online builders.

I told the guy its going behind a hot rod truck that should see 500+ to the wheels. He told me this setup was a typical hot rod configuration, built for higher speeds and should handle 800 hp. He said he would build one for higher HP than that, but price goes up...

I haven't installed it yet, but I did throw a coat of paint on it this evening.

Pictures attached:
Attached Thumbnails New Drive Shaft-shaft1.jpg   New Drive Shaft-shaft2.jpg   New Drive Shaft-shaft3.jpg   New Drive Shaft-shaft4.jpg  
Old 07-02-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks real good man

hope it fits lol
Old 07-03-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics. Looks like some nice work there. Its always good when you can find a local shop that can hang with the big builders in both performance and cost.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigTex
Yeah, I was pretty happy with the price too. It came from Automotive Driveline and Supply, in Hurst Tx. It would have probably been another $80 if I didn't have my own transmission yoke. But thats still a good price IMO when compared to some of the big named online builders.

I told the guy its going behind a hot rod truck that should see 500+ to the wheels. He told me this setup was a typical hot rod configuration, built for higher speeds and should handle 800 hp. He said he would build one for higher HP than that, but price goes up...

I haven't installed it yet, but I did throw a coat of paint on it this evening.
What is material used on yours vs that of the 1 he said would handle more HP?
Also, when painted, does that disrupt the balance since it was painted after balancing, or not enough to worry bout? My guess is no cause it's so little paint applied.

Last edited by fastnblu; 07-04-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:08 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by fastnblu
What is material used on yours vs that of the 1 he said would handle more HP?
Also, when painted, does that disrupt the balance since it was painted after balancing, or not enough to worry bout? My guess is no cause it's so little paint applied.

Solid spicers and thicker wall'd tubing i would imagine.

great price BTW!

Mine complete was 360 ish for the solid spicer and thicker wall'd stuff.

Quick Reply: New Drive Shaft