Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New help with djm 4/6 kit!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New help with djm 4/6 kit!!!!!!!!!!

i just bought the djm 4/6 kit, and in the box theres no instuctions, and ive never done one before, does anybody know were a walk though with pics maunal is to install this kit?, any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks guys
Old 09-05-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search through my old post, probably 3-4 years back. I think DJM even list the instructions on their website. IIRC, the first response in my thread was very descriptive.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Teching In

thanks but couldnt find it, could some one please help me !?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Teching In

this might help
http://www.djmsuspension.com/Instruc...ms/CA2599L.pdf

http://www.djmsuspension.com/Instruc...p/FK2599-6.pdf
Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

More info with pics!

http://www.djmsuspension.com/Article...do%20drop.html
Old 09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Teching In

k thanks guys, but in that link, were they talk about the air bags and brackets in the rear, do i need thows?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Teching In

i had a 4/6 djm drop on my 03 and never ran air shocks, so if you dont run them you wont need air
4/8 in this pic
Name:  carshow052.jpg
Views: 3163
Size:  127.7 KB
Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need the bags. And here is the response from my thread 5 years ago. Man in goes by fast

Originally Posted by Ryan23silverado
A 4/6 drop is kind of involved. DJM uses lower control arms on the front to drop 4". This means that you have to unbolt the spindle from the lower control arm to get it out. You will need a big hammer to get the lower ball joint out of the spindle (or a pickle fork that you can rent from Autozone or some place like that) A pickle fork is just an angled wedge that is hammered in between the two which seperates the control arm from the spindle. The front here isn't too bad, but putting it back together will take some compressing of the coil spring. (A good idea if you have any spare chain is to loop it through the center of the coil so it doesn't fly anywhere under compression) Place a floor jack under the lower control arm and compress it back towards the spindle. It might just lift the entire truck withough getting the new ball joint threads into the spindle if you have stiff Z85 coil springs from the factory. If this is the case, start loading your truck with weights on the side you are trying to compress the coil on. Put your buddy in the truck, free weights on the floorboard, someone else sitting on the floorboard etc... This should be enough weight to be able to compress the coil and lift the threads back into the spindle.

The rear is a flip kit with a 6"drop. You will need to section the frame for the frame notch. This part comes with instructions and a guide plate you bolt onto the frame to get your cut perfect. (at least the belltech flip kit that I did came with that guide plate) To cut, DON'T USE A TORCH. Extreme heat like that weakens these thin .083 tensile steel frames. Intsead use a sawzell (sp?) saw and be aware of your gas tank on the driver's side when you cut. You will then need to drill holes in the frame for the bolts that hold on the new notch. Then the axle needs to be put on top of the leaf springs. Take the leafs off and position the axle in the air on a jack and put the leafs under the axle shafts. There are nubs on the rear end that will line things up straight for you on this step.

You want your rear end housing (pumpkin) to be pointing toward the ground at rest. It should be at -2degrees. This is because when you give it a lot of torque (hitting the throttle) the rear end noses upward. So in on the throttle conditions, the allignment of the rear end will be essentially close to 0degrees. To make the nose of the rear end (driveshaft side) point downward, you would want the thicker side of the axle shim to be towrds the back of the truck.

There are many tools involved. Just try to think of all of them as you read through this and be sure to include a good floor jack and jack stands. The kits come with step by step instructions which should be way more useful than what I have briefly described Plan to have a ride for about two or three days though if you do it yourself. Perfection takes time
Edit: Just read through it again and the only thing I would suggest different, and did for that matter is do the notch after you flip the axle so you can make sure it is centered.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Teching In

thanks fellows thats very helpfull