Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New-ish Truck, Possible Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New-ish Truck, Possible Tranny Problem

Bought my truck in September, now has ~12K on it (long commute). Yesterday on the way home from work in stop and go traffic, it felt like the transmission slipped from a dead stop. I just eased back on the gas like normal and the engine revved, truck didnt move, and then a thunk, and it was back to normal. Never happened again, but with the reputation of the 60e in our trucks, I'm a bit gun shy.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:14 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, everyone is having the same problem right now. I believe this was the thrid thread started in the last day regarding the same issue. Check out these two:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=359029
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=359062
Old 02-14-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Hopefully someone will have some insight, having the same prob with my truck
Old 02-14-2006, 10:13 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THis sounds like the truck might have been inbetween nutral and drive, I'd take it to the dealer, (I really wouldn't, I'd do it myself.) and make them readjust the sensor and cable.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it does it again, I'll take it in and have them scan it, but one would hope a tranny would last 12K easy miles without trouble.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

its a pretty common problem and there is a tsb about it... I'll post the number tonight when I get home
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

mine did that the very first day I got it... I took it to them and they scanned it and said there was nothing wrong with it... about 6K after that I lost 3rd and 4th gears.... I got it replaced with a brand new ... not rebuilt... 60e for free... and they even put me in another brand new truck while it was being worked on for 2 weeks. mine was2 yrs old and they put me in a brand new one.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Well... I had this false neutral happen 3-4 times in the 25,000 miles that I have on my truck... here is the GM document:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Intermittent Neutral from a Stop or 2-3 Shift - kw flare information launch slip #PIP3002C - (Sep 22, 2004)
4L60E/4L65E Intermittent Neutral from a Stop or 2-3 Shift

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
The 4L60E/4L65E may experience an intermittent neutral condition while accelerating from a stop (category one) or while driving (category two).

Category One: Intermittent neutral condition occurs on accel from a stop with the shifter in D4. The neutral may be associated with an engine flare and then a harsh engagement. The Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch should read correct signal "A" High "B" Low "C" Low.

Category Two: Intermittent neutral occurs during 2-3 shift and the transmission will not have 3rd or 4th gear. The "B" Shift Solenoid is not bleeding off during the 2-3 shift allowing the transmission to stay in 2nd gear and return to first during the 3-4 shift.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Category One:

Attempt to duplicate the condition and if possible capture a snap shot of the condition with the Tech 2 or VDR while monitoring the transmission line pressure with a gauge. The following should be monitored to ensure the PCM is not commanding a higher then first gear start.

The Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch. The correct reading for D4 is as follows "A" High "B" Low "C" Low.

VSS should be monitored at stop to ensure that it is reading 0 MPH/RPM

Commanded Gear should be first Solenoid Status "A" on "B" on

Engine cooling fan operation should be noted and discussed (TSB 01-06-04-052, 02 Trailblazer, Envoy Bravada with 4.2 engine) Transmission line pressure low during the condition may cause an intermittent loss of pressure and neutral condition. Some customers may describe a launch in a higher then first gear as a neutral due to the greater amount of engine noise associated with the launch and lack of acceleration. In the event the dealer is unable to duplicate the condition, the dealer may consider installing an entire transmission shift cable, inspecting the forward clutch seal/piston and inspect for a broken or missing oil pump spring (two springs on units built 15-DEC-03 or earlier, one spring on units built 16-DEC-03 or later, reference bulletin 04-07-30-006)

Installing Transmission Assemblies, Lo Roller and the Forward Sprag have not been proven to be an effective repair.

Category Two:

Attempt to duplicate the condition. The "B" Shift Solenoid should be air checked for being restricted and not exhausting. However air testing the solenoid may remove the restriction. The "B" Shift Solenoid should be replaced.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance

Condition/Concern:
The 4L60E/4L65E automatic transmission may experience a condition of slipping, late or missed shifts in 2nd 3rd and 4th. An internal transmission disassembly may reveal a 2-4 band and or a 3-4 clutch being distressed.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Based on engineering transmission quality review sessions the following items should be inspected and or replaced as required. These items were found to be the cause of the distress to the 2-4 band and 3-4 clutch.

Low Line pressure (perform a PCS test as defined in SI)

1-2 accumulator piston cracked or broken

2-4 Servo Piston Seals for being cut or damaged

2-4 Servo Apply Pin for being nicked/scored /binding in the pin bore

2-4 Servo Piston Bore for being scored or mismachined

2-4 Band Anchor Pin (41) missing (low mileage)

Servo Feed Oil Passage blocked with sediment

Forward Clutch Apply Piston Seals for being cut or damaged

Forward Clutch Apply Piston for being cracked

3-4 Clutch Apply Piston Seals for being cut or damaged

3-4 Clutch Apply Piston for being cracked

3-4 Clutch and Forward Clutch oil feed passage blocked or restricted (should flow check the housing, and the passages should be inspected for proper location)

3-4 Clutch and Forward Clutch Turbine Shaft Sealing Rings for being damaged or missing

3-4 Clutch check ball (620) for leaking

3-4 Clutch air bleed orifice cup plug (698) is in place

Overrun Clutch Seal (632) damaged

#7 Checkball for not being seated or leaking

4-3 Sequence Valve (383) undersized

Boost Valve (219) stuck causing low line pressure

Input Sun Gear to Input Carrier Thrust Bearing (700) damaged came apart

Selective Washer (616) extra washer installed

Oil Pump Body (200) cracked/damaged

If none of the above items are found to be the root cause for the failure the Input Housing, Forward Clutch Piston and 3-4 Clutch Piston should be replaced and resealed as well as resealing the 2-4 Servo. Full sized trucks and utilities should have the shift cable properly adjusted and/or replaced if the cable is not holding proper adjustment. In the event the transmission as a repeat 2-4 Band or 3-4 Clutch Failure the transmission should be replaced.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for posting that unklej.