Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

new owner potential mods (opinions?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner potential mods (opinions?)

Hello all, I recently purchased a 2002 chev ext cab 2wd with 92,000 on the OD and drive it daily. I want to modify it for performance as well as reliability, but I am not sure where to begin. I know I want larger tires but not a lift or lowering, i would like to keep the suspension stock with better shocks. Does any one know the largest diameter that will fit stock suspension on 16" wheels? I would like to use a 16"x10" wheel but i don't know the smallest tire size that will fit. It currently has 255/70-16's on it and i would like to run a 285/60-16, will a 16x10 be too wide, or should i stick it on a 16x8 to allow for greater tire size availability/fitment? Remembering that this is a daily driver that sees ridiculous mileage all over SoCal on a daily basis so treadlife and replacement would best be suited to allow for sticking smaller tires back on if need be, but i would like to roll the rims still.

OK, all that crap said here is my wish list so to speak of mods to come, please chime in anywhere with opinions or if i am missing something. I am going to try to follow a sequence, but i am somewhat behind on experience modding cars, beyond regular maintenence.

Wheels - 16x8 or 16x10 MT classic II's
Tires - TBD

Comp & leakdown test motor, hopefully goes ok, if so...
Rockers, springs & valvetrain? there is valvetrain noise under load.

MSD ignition setup for LS1, (anyone know where i can buy these? i have p/n off of the site.) or possible alternate setup... but this is the nicest i have seen

Oil cooler, probably the one with the fan
160* t-stat
FAL fan setup

Shorty Headers & Exhuast, probably local shop installing pipe to my provided materials, it's not mandrel bent but cheaper that way, possibly buy a cat back system and have them bend up mid pipes, also... should i change the cat(s)?

Intake. Volant or K&N.

Gran Maf.

Some sort of tune, Does anyone have info on the wait4me? Do you get an actual module that you can program yourself with a laptop, or is it just a chip. I am thinking of a re-flash, but i like being able to go back to stock. I have also heard poorly of the handheld programmers but they may be the only option.

Trans - Feels like a rebuild may be in the short future, I am in the dark here, i know nothing of stall speed / convertor size or anything. I just know i want a shift kit and mild performance gain with tighter shifts/less stall more trans life. I will be installing a trans cooler soon to eke what little life is left in the trans. Does anyone know if i have 4l60 or 4l80, the truck is 5.3 liter base model. And can anyone recommend a good rebuild shop, or should i look at a core/replacement?

Rearend - Ride it 'till its broke and build with cromoly axles and maybe a slightly lower diff ratio.

Suspension/Steering - Will be installing bilstein HD shocks. Does anyone know of heavier duty aftermarket ball-joints/steering links? i would like to eventually upgrade all of these parts as well as possible stouter bushings. A swaybar set is in the definate future as well.

In car system, toolbox, and ladder rack are all down the line, as well as rhino lining the bed and the rocker panels.

Any info or opinions are appreciated
Old 09-22-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 05 2wd with 285-60-18's gpnna go with a 3 inch spindle lift soon but no rubbin right now . brute force is a great intake with good gains i love mine , now if u want a true cold air then volant is the way to go . id run a 180 stat with a wait4me tune talk to jesse hell set u up right . if u want headers and the mid pipes changed then longtubes is the best way to go with no cats and a goood muffler with duals or a x pipe but it will be loud , if u need cats then some nice high flows will do it from cat-co or other brands . as far as ingtion ur stock one will do good till around 500 i heard . so dont worry bout the msd , a nice set of taylor wires or jba's and some tr55 plugs

damn a month ago i knew nothing shows how much this site can really help you out . one more thing backspacing u gotta watch out for when u go with rims .
Old 09-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Teching In

what backspacing would be tolerable? isn't stock 4.75"? How far can i deviate without causing problems?

Also, is jesse the wait4me tune guy?

Are tr55 plugs better that tr5 plugs just on a stock setup? i figured a capacatative discharge would be a good setup for torque and reliability?

I definatly need cats as i am in southern california, and i like the idea of a cat back for the CARB EO stuff, but are long tubes also 50 state legal? i would think that only shortys are.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 285/60 is a little shorter than the 255/70's. I've seen a truck with 16x10's and 255/70's and the tires were too narrow for the wheel. A 285/60 should fit those wheels but a 295 would do better for that width. I don't know of any tires near the stock range in a 295 width though.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya 285-60 are shorter . tr5's thats it sorry bout that . and i believe only shorties and one pair of mid lengths are carb aprroved . and ya jesse is the wait4me dude . and about backspacing i dont know what mine are as i bought them off a friend but they sit perfect with the lip of the fenders the rims would tuck just the tires woiuld catch it but when your clearing them u aint gotta worry bout that . sorry for typing got a game to go to later
Old 09-23-2005, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Don't do a Gran MAF. They are prone to do more harm than good.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont do the gran maf I wasted my money on that before I was learned in the ways of performance and what works. "The Other Guys" headers are carb legal they are a mid length header and will give you good performance. Dont bother with shorties theya waste of money the factory ones are basically shorties. The wait4me tune is good from what I ahve heard I got a Nelson tune becuase he has more experience and has a much larger customer base and I have heard good things baout him and after dealing with him personally I would recommend him for sure he is a great and knows his ****. You have the 4l60e in your truck. Get a transgo hd-2 shift kit this is the best one and will add life to your tranny. It is difficult to say on what other mods to do to the tranny since I dont know exactly what kmind fo condition the internals are in. I would do the shift kit, corvette servo and a billet od servo. If your transmission fails then these things will still be able to be put in the new rebuilt transmission. Gears I would upgrade to 3.73s if you dont have them they are the best of both worlds IMO since you do alot of driving. The factory cats are probably fine when you do the headers take a look at them if you cant see light through them then you should probably go ahead and get some new ones. Factory cats flow very well and if they arent clogged then there is no need to get high flow I didnt notice any difference really when I upgraded to my magnaflow cats that I had. I ahve a 160* thermostat in my truck and it is fine use it. I wold go with a set of LS1 fans with a nelson harness(Nelson performance makes them) this harness will control the fans perfect. When you get a custom tuine get them to turn the fan controller on so the computer willc ontrol the fans via the harness. LS1 fans come off the late model trans ams and camaros. Intakes are basically take your pick and how much money you want to spend. If I was going to spend the money I would probably go with a volant but CAI's are too much money for what you get. I bought a used airaid intake tube and then bought a cheapo heatshield off ebay. A good set of aftermarket plug wires is all that is needed. I am in the process of building a 408 that hopefully willhave close to 500hp and then spraying a 200 shot on top of that and I wont be upgrading the coil packs. NGK Tr55s are the plugs that you want for your truck gapped at 55 or so just a bit smaller than gap than stock is what iw ould do. Wheels and tires I know nothing about so I cant help you there Im more of a all go no show kind of guy so I dotn get into all that. Hopefully I have steered you in the right direction.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
... Hopefully I have steered you in the right direction.
For what it's worth, I think you did!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Teching In

wow,
thanks for all the replies guys, it seems to me that i am pretty much on course with where i want to take this truck. you guys have a good knowledge base and real experience with these mods on your own trucks, so i feel pretty comfortable with your advice.

As far as the transmission goes, i am looking into rebuild kits as i am pretty sure that is what is holding the truck back. I think the motor is okay, no leakdown or comp to confirm yet, but i don't burn oil or puff smoke on startup so hopefully the motor is in good condition and will hold for another 90k :-) or so until i NEED a rebuild. The transmission seems slow & sluggish and lugs the motor, it runs like a champ for about 25 miles and then seems to get heavy at the wheel. I can kick down and pick it right up but it just doesn't feel right.

1Slow, in your opinion would a rebuild be more cost effective than a core/purchase? I know nothing of repairing/modding auto trans myself, so a professional would be necessity. Would a good trans shop be able to tell if a rebuild is in order, or should i just start buying parts to be safe? I like the transgo stuff but as far as converter, internals, servos, rebuild kit brands, sizes or any of that i am in the dark. Could you put together a list of what i would need to buy to have a shop do a performance rebuild on the trannie? I consider my truck an investment as it takes me all over hells half acre for work and anything major i do to it is worth spending some extra dough to do it right.

In my experience and mostly due to my fat foot and driving habits, OEM equipment and i have always had a long standing argument. I've killed nissans, fords, and others in the past, usually i trade them in at their last leg, i traded a toyota tacoma prerunner for this truck and i am proud that that truck was able to handle my insanity and remain a champ, i hated to see it go, but i am happy with my purchase. Even though the mileage is high, the cost is pretty low and i intend to keep this one as long as possible, but i am sure everything on the truck will be replaced or upgraded at some point. (know where i can get high performance cup holders? :-).

I already have new wheel bearings and ball joints to go in when the tires do.

I also left brakes out of the earlier posts, but i like the SSBC brakes, at some point.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

i will just comment on the wheeel situation....

i have 22x10s with a 7 1/4 backspacing....with 285/35's....they are rated for 10" wide wheels. they tuck quite nicely in the fenders and have had zero rubbing issues. backspacing is they key to wide wheeels

Quick Reply: new owner potential mods (opinions?)