Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New owner of some MT ET Streets....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of some MT ET Streets....

Just picked up a set of mt et streets today. They had one pass on them on a stock mustang. I got them for $225, which I think is a great deal, considering they don't have a scratch on them.
First off, I noticed they seem to be alot softer compound than my BFGs were, obviously due to the fact that they aren't a radial tire.

Got a few questions for those running these tires...
1. what's the expected life of these tires. I figure they are going to wear alot faster than my bfgs.
2. What kind of burnout should I do on these tires. Long smokey burnout or short light smoke burnout?
3. Do these handle as good as the bfgs for street action?

They seem to be a very good tire, and I'll find out this weekend if they hook better than my bfgs did.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

when mine were new I did one big burnout with them, and ever since i just burn them till they just start smoking and get excellent traction everytime. I think too much smoke is just for show and wastes tire. so far I have 20 passes and going
Old 03-09-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's about time!!! j/k I think you will be satisfied the the et streets. What size did you get?
Life expectancy depends greatly on the burnout. They should last you a while depending on how often you race. You also shouldn't need to do a long smokey burnout. What I do is hit it to turn'em over in the water and pull out. Lay into it for a while then let off the brake and pump the gas until you feel it hook. I have 26x10.50x16 and run about 14 psi. Air pressure will increase approx. 1-2 psi after heat from burnout so check regularly. Tires are not good on the street. Especially around curves. Sidewall flexes and feels real squirmy. Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3
It's about time!!! j/k I think you will be satisfied the the et streets. What size did you get?
Life expectancy depends greatly on the burnout. They should last you a while depending on how often you race. You also shouldn't need to do a long smokey burnout. What I do is hit it to turn'em over in the water and pull out. Lay into it for a while then let off the brake and pump the gas until you feel it hook. I have 26x10.50x16 and run about 14 psi. Air pressure will increase approx. 1-2 psi after heat from burnout so check regularly. Tires are not good on the street. Especially around curves. Sidewall flexes and feels real squirmy. Hope this helps.
I got the 26x10.50x16s. I just couldn't pass them up for that price.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Both have helped me out and I'm really anxious to try them out. I'm ready to be able to launch this biatch!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree with the two previous replys. No need to do a John Force burnout on them(except for the first one if they are new). Just be warned the first time you go down the track, your rearend will start to sway about 70-80mph. Even at 30psi on the street, they are kind of scary on the interstate. I will also say, mine really sucked on the street but I do like them at the track.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you're going finally get that beast to hook. I think you need some wheelie bars now, just for the psych factor.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKID
I agree with the two previous replys. No need to do a John Force burnout on them(except for the first one if they are new). Just be warned the first time you go down the track, your rearend will start to sway about 70-80mph. Even at 30psi on the street, they are kind of scary on the interstate. I will also say, mine really sucked on the street but I do like them at the track.
I appreciate the heads up, Kenny. I'm really hoping they'll do the trick for me at Greenville. If they hook Greenville, I know they'll hook anywhere else I go.

whitt- That and a shoot on the back might get me out of a few races I would lose. You and Jim need to bring your monsters down to Greenville this weekend!!! I have yet to see you in action!!! I guess I'm just going to have to make a trip up there one weekend to see what a real monster can do.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you get them for that price with rims and tubes?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tahoe is just about ready,I still need to fix the rear end,it's howling pretty laud, before I plan any road trips.I'll sneak down your way before to much longer.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rcfast
did you get them for that price with rims and tubes?
Just the tires. I figured they were worth it for one pass tires.

Quick Reply: New owner of some MT ET Streets....