Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

new performabuilt trans and still the same problem wth is goin on

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Correct.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well its not in the tuning I'm hoping its the maf
Old 07-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Why do you keep thinking its the MAF?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

For the trans to be in 4th gear with the TCC locked at 25 mph the PCM thinks the truck is in 4 LOW. I remember there was either at Technical Service Bulletin or Preliminary Information from GM about this, but I am not able to find it. You need to check with a scan tool to see what the PCM see for 4 LOW switch status.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't feel like reading three pages so I will just tell you what the problem is. Your encoder motor position sensor is junk. My dads 2005 did this, I've seen a 99 even do this but on it the transfer case control module had died. Basically what is happening in your case is the encoder sensor is sending the wrong signal to the transfer case control module. Its saying that its in 4wd low when its not. When this happens the transfer case control module tells the PCM that its in 4wd and the PCM in turn changes up the shift routines thinking its in 4wd low. It shifts through the gears very quickly and by about 25 mph you will be in OD and trying to lock the converter at like 500 rpms and you end up getting spark knock and bucking because the engine is being lugged to death. Fix your service 4wd issue and your tranny issue will be fixed to. Really its nothing wrong with the tranny, just the PCM not knowing whether its in 2 high or 4wd low.

Your welcome.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

I have been riding for 3 days now with the maf unhooked and it hasn't had a single hiccup.. The transfercase and the pcm think that the case is in nuetral and its lit up on the dash that its in neutral... I think I have two sperate problems here
Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Oh and did I mention it only does the fast shifting and tq locking when its warm?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldred95
I didn't feel like reading three pages so I will just tell you what the problem is. Your encoder motor position sensor is junk. My dads 2005 did this, I've seen a 99 even do this but on it the transfer case control module had died. Basically what is happening in your case is the encoder sensor is sending the wrong signal to the transfer case control module. Its saying that its in 4wd low when its not. When this happens the transfer case control module tells the PCM that its in 4wd and the PCM in turn changes up the shift routines thinking its in 4wd low. It shifts through the gears very quickly and by about 25 mph you will be in OD and trying to lock the converter at like 500 rpms and you end up getting spark knock and bucking because the engine is being lugged to death. Fix your service 4wd issue and your tranny issue will be fixed to. Really its nothing wrong with the tranny, just the PCM not knowing whether its in 2 high or 4wd low.

Your welcome.
Originally Posted by Bumpers
I have been riding for 3 days now with the maf unhooked and it hasn't had a single hiccup.. The transfercase and the pcm think that the case is in nuetral and its lit up on the dash that its in neutral... I think I have two sperate problems here
replace your dash switch,
If it keeps happening, then it's the 4wd actuator

It's not the MAF
Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

The switch issue is really more of a 99-02 issue. Not saying it can't happen on the 03+ trucks but its not nearly as common. If you have a C0327 fix it first. Thats the encoder sensor.

I agree its not a MAF issue. Why does it only do it when the engine is warm? Thats anyones guess. Probably because it wants to.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tootall
replace your dash switch,
If it keeps happening, then it's the 4wd actuator

It's not the MAF
already changed the switch

Originally Posted by oldred95
The switch issue is really more of a 99-02 issue. Not saying it can't happen on the 03+ trucks but its not nearly as common. If you have a C0327 fix it first. Thats the encoder sensor.

I agree its not a MAF issue. Why does it only do it when the engine is warm? Thats anyones guess. Probably because it wants to.
because if its what i think it is the maf has lost its calibration and causes the truck to think its moving more than it is and shift really fast and then trys locking the converter thinking its over 50mph wich is my lockup speed. the reason it would do it when its warm is because thats when the sensor starts working. when you first crank the truck up its either in a closed loop or open loop ( cant rember wich is wich) but it isnt until the truck heat up alittle that the maf start adjusting. i could be wrong but im thinking this is my problem and only time will tell but for 3 days so far with the maf unplugged no issue and with the new maf no an issue yet and ive prolly put 100 miles on it.

Quick Reply: new performabuilt trans and still the same problem wth is goin on